Toro-Walker gearbox transplant

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by southside, May 4, 2001.

1. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

Starting to have a few problems with the deck gearboxes on my 48" Walker GHS. Seems that the aluminium housings aren't
    up to scratch.
    I was wondering if is possible to transplant the gearboxes off a Toro Z325 onto the Walker deck?
    Will the Toro blades (Atomic) fit onto a 48" Walker deck?

Any tips appreciated.

2. Highpoint

Highpoint LawnSite Member

I have been running Walkers since 1993. Seen my share of busted gear boxes. Sucks!! Can't say for sure if you can switch out the boxes. Not sure what your cutting conditions are but surely those orginal boxes should work. Problem you may run into if you switch out the boxes is that the Walker PTO box is made of the same material. If you install what seems to be stronger boxes on the deck, the PTO box may end up taking ALL the abuse if you hit something. The PTO box cost twice as much and is 5 times more difficult to replace. tons of crap you have to removed to get it out. The best advice I can give is to learn where the obstacales are and avoid them. If you are a new user of the Walker, you will learn through trial and error what your machine is capable of. Good Luck

3. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

I thought the Toro 350 series was a Walker built machine with a red disguise?

4. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I don't think so.Walker makes 1 thing....Walker.As far as I know.

5. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the tip. The actual problem is the gearbox housings themselves. The bolt threads are stripping because the aluminium housings have too much flex. I had some problems on site with bits of steel and rocks being thrown around by the local kids. More ofeten than not I don't see them in time. :(