TORO Warrenty - to all those in the know

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by meets1, Jun 25, 2008.

1. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I have a 450 series toro. 23 kawa engine. DFS bagger, 52 deck, bought new in march of 2007, current hours 550.

Bought the machine from dealer 1. Dealer 1 is no longer in the business. Now I go to dealer 2 45 miles away.

Last week monday, the 16th of June - my pump or wheel motor was leaking oil badly. Couldn't turn, nothing, had to push the mower onto the trailer with 3 guys.

Dealer 2 puts in a seal kit. Tells me it is good to go and last night, the 24th of June he finally calls and says it it ready - I go get the mower.

In the meantime - renting a kubota which i don't like.

I unload the mower today - don't even get 100 yards and my right side was out. Really didn't see any oil but the tank was empty - get more oil. I go down the street to get air out etc and drive easy in a straight line - guy is yelling at me saying I am lossing oil. Yep - out, and the oil is running.

I call dealer 2 - he tells me he can't warrenty the work he did cuz maybe the wheel motor is shot. Well - why didn't it get replaced? Toro told him not to. He goes on to tell me what this is going to cost me - I was like ME. This is under warrenty. Dealer told me - no toro wouldn't warrenty this.

I call Midwest Turf in Omaho NE. Talk to the warrenty guy - his name is Dan. He tells me they go by what the dealer says (dealer 2 tells me there not equiped with the tools or know how about this issue) He also says toro is very liberal about the warrenty to keep people like me happy - considering I am running 4 of these units.

I then call toro in St Paul/minn area. Talk to the rep for my region. Same story.

I drop the mower off again 45 miles away (dealer 2 said you wouln't pick it up) and he tells me at the front door that this probably is not a warrenty issue. I tell him, well - figure something out.

My take is that dealer 2 tells toro one thing, probably makes more money off me for shop rate than what he would make doing warrenty work.

What can you guys tell me.

2. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

What do i say,itz crap on the warranty,toro might pull thru and help keep us posted.

3. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

thanks for posting....

I really dont like toro..

Best of luck to ya

4. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I have run Toro mowers for over 18yrs and bought them all from the same dealer and have only had minor problems over the years and nothing major. Toro's warranty is one of the best out there, I've never had a problem they didn't cover. Having a great dealer is a plus since they are the ones talking to Toro to get you approved for warranty work. A piss poor dealer wouldn't go through the trouble and would rather charge you. Find a better dealer it makes all the difference.

5. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I think what it boils down to is the warranty is only as good as the dealer handling it.

Good luck!

6. juspayme

juspayme LawnSite Senior Member

typical bunk dealer. if dealer 2 had a brain, he would fix your mower, give you good service maybe in the future you might purchase a new unit off him down the road.

but dealer 2 is not thinking that way. he just wants the fast money on selling new units. dealers make over 1000.00 per unit when they sale one, sometime up to 3000.00

do the math. ask your dealer how many new zero turns he sold this year. if hes says 20. hes made at LEAST 20,000 dollars up to 60,000. just by filling out some warrenty cards and having some 11 dollar worker assemble the unit.

big money always attributes to big ego. if your dealer has a big ego, hes probably making big money off you, beware.

7. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like dealer #2 sucks big time. Find a new dealer or switch brands.

8. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

Call Toro and really b***h about this dealer. BE CALM AND FACTUAL. Companies won't act if they feel you are just calling with a gripe, or to get out of paying for service.

From what you are telling me, it seems you have a legitimate complaint. Was this pump/motor the one he had just rebuilt? If so, most GOOD companies give a 90 day warranty on ANY work they do. You also might want to consult your state's laws concerning repair work - usually available online.

Failing all that, keep good documentation, and see if the local news outlet can do an expose on how this dealer is ripping off the working guy.

9. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

In reply to a few questions - had a local dealer who did everything he could. he was great but no longer. Exmark dealer is about an hour away and dealer 2 is 45 minutes away.

He told he couldn't stand behind the repair kit in the motor due to the possible damgae that was already in the motor. I asked why he just didn't do that in the first place?

He sells toro, gravely and grasshopper. He has sold as of the 23rd of June - 27 grasshoppers, 11 gravelys and 13 toro's. These are all riders - to what size, shape, engine I do not know.

He is also a farmer who needed a write off business that he started around 10 years ago.

I will be calliing toro again today and questioning the dealer responce that I have been given.

10. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a trimmer from my main dealer and wanted to buy an edger also (both Shindy, both same size displacement engines). Dealer 1 had the trimmer I wanted but didnt have the edger, said they would have to order it because they were out at the time. I bought the edger from dealer 2. The casing guard that goes around the blade cracked the other day, so I went to dealer 1 for warranty repairs. They were extremely hesitant to do anything or even order the part because they said when you dont buy it from them and want warranty work to be done, rather it be parts, labor or both, they dont make any money off of it. It can be a real hassle if you buy the equipment from another dealer and want dealer 2 to perform the warranty work.