1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Toro WB pistol grip or T-bar?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wissmow, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Wissmow

Wissmow LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Also used pistol grip. Never used t-bar. Have alot of hill sides. Any advantage? How does a t-bar work with sulky?

2. KCLandscape

KCLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

TBar will save you from carpel tunnell!
  3. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

I think the t-bar is great. Easy to use, back up, do a 3 point turn, hills. After I got my t-bar and got used to it, that's all I'll buy if the future. It did take about a day to really get the hang of it for me.
  4. unioncross landscaping

unioncross landscaping LawnSite Member

I prefer the T bar.Have used both and the T bar is easier to use, especially if you have shorter fingers.It does take a little practice.
  5. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Pistol grip is for the masochistic.

T- bar, is SOOO much easier. More intuitive. Just from a safety aspect I would think they would stop making pistol grips. Letting go of the grips should default to stop.
  6. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

I am also curious about the Toro pistol grip or t-bar. The 52" Toro floating deck hydro w/b only comes with the pistol grip.
    Anyone know how this mower performs?

edit; I see the t-bar, 52" hydro floater, but it only has a 15 Kohler
  7. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have a T-Bar and I love it, its really nice
  8. zamboni

zamboni LawnSite Member

T bar all the way. There are way too many macho idiots that just won't listen to their numb and tingly hands. I have the 44" hydro and it is soooo easy to use. Think about your future. Cheers, John
  9. Family Man Lawn Care

Family Man Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I have the T-bar with sulky. I feel like I have so much control with where I want to put the mower. The sulky is nice for large yards but when I'm doing these small residential, I rarely use it. The cool thing about it is it just lifts up and stows away without detaching.
  10. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

learning the t-bar is a little like learning to drive a clutch. It's a little shaky at first but once you get used to it they are the BEST. You can wheelie them over things and I have hills that mine handle well and they are belt drive. I only tried pistol grips once so I may be biased. The nice thing about t-bar is that when I trained my wife and son how to use them I said "just let go of the black t-bar and it will stop".Only not on a hill!! It made them more comfortable learning to use the mowers. If the blade is on while mowing and they panicked it would shut itself off. I'm sure the pistols have similar safety features though. I can step off the velke and walk next to the mower while going under trees and operate the t-bar with one hand. The best of all I can mow my own lawn with a BEER in on hand and operate the w/b. Ah the simple things!!