Toro WB Purchase

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by corycc, Mar 31, 2001.

1. corycc

corycc LawnSite Member

I know most of you guys are pretty much against buying used equipment, but I recently bought a Toro WB and I want to see what you guys think.

It is a really strange setup so bear with me. The traction unit is a 1995 model. It has a 20 HP Kohler Command which has 1400 hours on it. It is a hydro. The 36" deck is a floating 2000 model that he only used lightly one year. 20 HP is a bit much but he used to have a 52" deck on it before he switched. The owner was very meticulous when it came to maintenance. He recorded everything and did regular maintenance, such as greasing, sharpening blades, changing oil and hydraulic fluid, changing air filter, cleaning the precleaner and other tasks, according to the books. He just bought new tires, 3 gallons of hydraulic fluid, and gator blades. He also does body work and paints cars on the side so the mower looks just as new as the day it was bought. This mower new costs just over $5000 and I bought it for $1500. He had some other very interested buyers but we called first. I feel like I got a very good deal but what do you guys think?

2. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

Is the 36 inch deck on a 52 inch carrier frame. Is there any offset on the left side to trim?
    20 hp on a 36 will be more than enough power. I think you said it was a hydro..if so good deal!

3. corycc

corycc LawnSite Member

The whole deck is the new model. There is no offset on the deck which kinda sucks because that hurts the trim-ability but since it is hydro it helps a lot.

At that price, I think I stole the mower.

4. wrtenterprises

wrtenterprises LawnSite Senior Member

If this machine is in the shape you describe, it was a very good deal. Plenty of power for such a small deck, and if the deck is almost new, you truly did "steal" this machine. I have been running Toro's Proline series for years now, and to date the only major repair was a transmission rebuild this year. They are a very simplistic and a well made unit in my opinion...

5. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I was thinking about $1900 so I would've jumped on that deal as well. You could mow through a darn 4 ft tall field with that deck/engine combo.