Toro wb tranny

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lawnprosteveo, Nov 15, 2007.

1. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

The transmission on y Toro 36 wb has started making a "knocking" sound. At first I thought it was the engine...sounding like a rod knocking in a car engine.

The tranny is the original...this is a 2002 model and gets used and abused nearly yr round. I use a sulky most of the time too.

Does this mean its about to go out? How much will this set me back $$? Is this something I could tackle myself? And lastly, Does using a sulky on this belt drive wb shorten the life of the tranny?

Thanks for any tips!!:usflag:

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

1) Yes

2) Check here for a replacement; http://j-thomas.com/Catalog/180.htm

3) You can install a complete trans yourself, I wouldn't bother trying to rebuild the old one due to cost and age/use.

4) Yes

Good Luck

3. lawnprosteveo

from Tulsa

Thanks for the feedback.....I guess that'll be my next project!

4. mowermankevin

mowermankevin LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto to what Restrob says plus when you pull that tranny you have to pull the left and right jackshafts and couplings and bearings to the pulleys. J. Thomas (www.j-thomas.com) sells a 36 spline to 9 spline conversion and improved bearing assembly, so save yourself a lot of headache by doing it all the first time, your looking at 400 bucks so don't skimp if you have got to take it apart anyway. A sulky is extra work for the whole mower, not just the tranny, so if you insist on it, just remember there ain't no free ride.....

5. lawnprosteveo

from Tulsa

So do I need the 36 spline or the 9 spline? Which is better for a sulky?

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Take your's apart and replace with what's in it, Unless you want to replace the couplers and axles also.

7. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I'm pretty sure your machine comes factory with the 9 spline. It sounds like the shift keys are rounded off and the clicking your hearing is the skipping. I'm having a similar problem with the tranny on my 36" Exmark.

8. lawnprosteveo

from Tulsa

Thanks again! I will probably just go with the same thing I have....to make it simple.