Toro WB with 40" deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GotGreen, Dec 7, 2006.

1. GotGreen

GotGreen LawnSite Member
    from STL

Can someone explain the logic behind that mower, the places (fenced back yards) where I can not get my 54" are only big enough for my 36" and the open places I will prefer to use my 54".

2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Why are some 36" mowers like 39" wide?

Why does Toro make the 44" as well?

Why did every maker stop producing 34" hydro walks?

Why do poeple put in gates that are 3' or LESS in the first damn place?!?!

3. GotGreen

GotGreen LawnSite Member
    from STL

I puff, puff and pass the happy smoke... I do...

I ask because the more popular sizes for smaller mowers for fenced back yards or smaller yards are 36" decks as I explained before, believe me, I will like to use a 40" on some of the bigger fenced back yards and other smaller places but there is not enough bigger gates for me to justify buying that 40"

4. green_with_envy

green_with_envy LawnSite Member
    from pa

...lol...and if a dog sweats through it's tongue, whay does it have armpits?

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

40" deck is great because it is compact in length.

A 36" deck is a LONG deck.

It's not a gate mower. More of a small area, small lawn machine.

I had a few 4' gates that were tough to squeeze my 48" into. The 40" would be perfect for these.

6. Cooter

Cooter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

I was thinking about buying one of these to use as a small area mower. Though I am still having a hard time deciding on the Toro or a Quick 36. The belt drive Toro w T-Bar is only $400 more than a Samarui. The Toro is also sold locally which is nice if one needed parts or repairs.

7. LCPullman

LCPullman LawnSite Senior Member

The new 36" Hustler Trimstar Hydro has a cutting width of 33.5" and the deck measures around 35" total width. Due to the unique design of the deck, I was actually able to wiggle it through a 34" doorway once.

The 40" deck is for 42" gates. In my area the professional fence installers generally install 42" gates, and if I didn't have to deal with 36" gates, I would be glad for the extra inches in cutting width and the increased productivity.

I've used a Toro T-Bar Gear drive, and I'd take it any day over a pistol grip (hydro or gear). The T-bar is more or less effortless to use. I know every one has their own preferences regarding the controls, but personaly, I'd recommend the T-Bar Toro.
    The fact that the Toro is sold locally should also be a tremendous plus. As long you have a good dealer there nothing like being able to work locally.

8. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

Well, I did not know that Toro made a 40" wb, but I have a 44". For those wondering why Toro made the 44", I can say that while it is too big for small gates, it is a very good all around WB for me. I can use it on small props where a 48 would be unwieldy, and I can still be profitable on props up to about 2 acres. Great machine if you service small-med sized props. I would like to get a 32" or 34" for those gates, though.