Toro wbh and electric fert spreader

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cantoo, Sep 24, 2000.

1. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I am mounting my 12 volt electric fertilizer spreader onto my Toro walk behind and have a few questions. There is 2 wires coming off the engine both have power and go to the clutch and key switch, can I splice into either of these to run the spreader? I will install an inline fuse to protect the spreader motor from surges. I am just doing this as a back up for my Yazoo that I normally use for spreading, it quit on my once so I like to always have a back up unit ready to go. It will also save some space on the trailer for smaller jobs.

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I came right off the hot side of the battery for mine.

3. cantoo

This is the Kaw motor with armstrong start... No battery no electric start. I wish it was that easy, I think I am okay with either of the wires, I just didn't want to wreck anything.

[Edited by cantoo on 09-25-2000 at 02:56 AM]

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Will that produce enough power to run a spreader motor? I know on a snow blower, it doesn't produce much to run a simple light. Good luck, thought you had a battery on it. Sorry.

5. If you have no battery by wiring it to the electric clutch circuit you will get 12v at 3amps per the toro schematic.

6. cantoo

Thanks Stone, my manual says the spreader draws 3 amps so I should be okay. I finished mounting it tonight so I will give it a try tomorrow, I have about 8 acres left to do I will likely do it all with the Toro.
    Another auction coming up this weekend, selling some decks, sprayers,a seeder, power sweeper and a pile of other toys I would like to have. By the time Spring rolls around I should have most of the equipment I am gonna need to play it seriously.