1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Toro WB's??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Adam's Lawn and Garden, Jul 8, 2006.

1. Adam's Lawn and Garden

Adam's Lawn and Garden LawnSite Senior Member

Hey,

I was going to buy an exmakr rider but decided to get a wb instead. i was looking at the 19 hp 52" turf tracer hp. Today though i tried a Toro Fixed deck Gear drive turbo force with 15 hp and 48". It was nice, i was thinking about getting the floating but they're not turbo force. What should i get? are Toro's good?

Thanks,

Adam

2. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

The productivity of 48/15 gear walk is a joke compared to a Z. WB is not suitable for use as primary mower, the Z kill all.

3. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

While this is true for wide open mowing the walk has its place. You can fit a walk where you cant fit a Z. A walk will take a steeper angle as opposed to the Z. A walk will fit under low hanging branches with out knocking you off.
    Now like I say a Z will out run a walk and cut more acreage in wide open mowing but they all have their places.
    Now I would have a hydro in a walk period. No belt period.

4. TheLawnBarber

TheLawnBarber LawnSite Senior Member

Please get the Turf Tracer. I've purchaed a Metro 36 with Ecs its the shi*. Ecs has to be the most inovative control system on the market.

5. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Why is a w/b not a suitable mower for a primary machine?
    We only have w/b's, But yeah Z's crush a w/b in productivity in the right area! We mow 2 upscale homes right next to each other and down 3 houses there is a company that uses a Z turn and believe or not we beat them using a w/b on each of the lawns while their farting around with trying to maneuver this 60 Lazer around tight turns and trees etc. So w/b's have their place.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

<- pwner snip ->

7. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Get the T-bar, you'll love it, With a T-bar you get hydro productivity with a belt price and low maintenance costs. As for which size, I guess that depends on your lawns.

8. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Oh boy here we go again on the WB VS ZTR debate.

Sure the WB can be used every where but no matter the situation other than a steep slope a ZTR will win. It all comes down to the operator of the ZTR. We use to have nothing but WB's and our lawns are any where from 5K to 2 acres. Most of them are around 14-18K in size which is just an average size lawn. As soon as we got ZTR's our productivity went up and operator fatigue went down. We now own only 1 WB and it only gets used on 1 lawn and thats only because they request we use the WB. So out of 70 reidentials we use the WB on 1 lawn and we CAME from nothing but WB's. Check my sig for my equipment.

9. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

You just seen LCO who has not enough experience on a Z...there is no match between the two. period. In this life time, I wasted almost 4 years toiling with eXmark both gear & hydro walk, well it established my biz but my Z is the one who push my bank and volume without getting beaten up by wb.
    99% of LCO in my area need Z to make real money. WB is only only for hill and wet area. We save so much time running Z that we can use those extra time available to do extra things for accounts and that pay off.
    Sure, you like your walk but I take Z any time, I still run my TTHP on 3 accounts that have hill as their backyards, and that all it is.

10. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Far as the WB vs. Z-turn debate, A wb is good on hills and can fit places a z-turn cant.

I would get a Toro over an Exmark cause of the T-bar controls are far better then the ECS controls.