Toro Wheel Horse 724-Z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by heygrassman, May 17, 2002.

1. heygrassman

heygrassman LawnSite Senior Member

I just picked up Toro Wheelhorse 724-Z. Pretty neat machine. It has to be older (Mid-Late 80's). It has a brand new motor and newer hydralic pumps.

Has anyone out there had one of these? I am having a devil of a time finding information out about the machine.

Thanks

jf

2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I have a 1985 or so brochure on Wheel Horse stuff that shows a pic of one, but no info really, it's a garden tractor booklet that just has a small picture to introduce it. Maybe in the next couple of days I'll scan it in. Other than that, I don't have any info. This page lets you enter Toro (and Wheel Horse stuff too I think) model and serial numbers and lets you see all the parts breakdowns. You can look it up here: https://lookup2.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm
    Also, how does it cut and stripe? They look like a Dixie Chopper in the book. Same tread on back tires and basically same design as far as body goes. Think you can post a couple pics of the machine and a lawn cut with it?
    Eric

3. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

Those were made by Dixie Chopper. Try that route for parts.

4. I MOW ALONE

I MOW ALONE LawnSite Bronze Member

dixie chopper almost all parts interchange

5. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

They sure aren't as fast as a Dixie.. according to my book, they only do 6.5mph. That's definately not Dixie Chopper blood! Were the old, old DC's that slow? Hmmm... maybe they were???

6. heygrassman

heygrassman LawnSite Senior Member

Dixie Chopper makes sense to me now. This thing FLIES. The only parts on Toro's site was a bagger and it said Dixie Chopper as well. Thanks all, much appreciated.

Here is a pic:

a mower right.jpg

7. I MOW ALONE

I MOW ALONE LawnSite Bronze Member

nice machine very clean if you dont mind me asking what did you have to give for it im only asking because i have a chance to buy one just like it and would like to get an idea what one,s worth thank,s

8. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Looks great for the age. The book DID say 6.5mph... maybe they changed it. Again, how's the cut and stripe? Have fun with it.
    Eric

9. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

nice machine, i to am curious as to what you payed on it. wish i could find something like that, be perfect for my first big mower

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I believe thats a 24hp ONAN engine, and I believe that its the old chain drive? Many ran for many thousands of hours! Just gotta watch the chains as they wear/stretch. They used Eaton Hydrostats.

Parts are still available through J-Thomas.