Toro wont start

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ALBsun1, Nov 8, 2005.

1. ALBsun1

ALBsun1 LawnSite Member

Was cutting the other day with a toro personal pace, and ran over a large root, immediately cutting off the mower and bending the blade in the process. After changing the blade, it started twice after that the next day, but now nothing. I am far from a mechanic, so any info would be appreciated. Just a shot in the dark. Thanks.
  2. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Flywheel key? Can you pull it at all and does it try to kick back at you when you do pull it (jerk the rope out of your hand)
  3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

First of all what engine is it ? Model and spec. #'s
  4. ALBsun1

ALBsun1 LawnSite Member

I don't know the model engine, the mower is not here right now for me to look at. I know that it was new at the beginning of this season, it is a briggs engine, OHV, 6.5 HP. And, to answer the other question, no, it doesn't jerk back when you pull it, it pulls just like it normally would when trying to start it, just won't start.
  5. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Check the basics, spark plug wire is on, spark plug is in...etc......small engines are pretty tough....sometimes its the small overlooked items causing the problems...just my 02...
  6. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Most likely the flywheel key has been sheared. You should pull the plug, rotate the engine just to make sure a rod hasnt broken and not blown through the engine side.
  7. ALBsun1

ALBsun1 LawnSite Member

wish i knew how to do that, but thanks anyways. i'll either throw it out and get a new one, or take it in for one repair.
  8. billyiowan

billyiowan LawnSite Member

Hey Newz,

My Toro has had that jerk back recently, and now won't start. I peeked under there and it looks as if the something in the shaft sheared. I had to go borrow my neighbors mower real quick so I haven't had a chance to look closer.

9. EMJ

EMJ LawnSite Member

I would check the flywheel key to see if it is sheared. Had an outboard with a sheared flywheel key and it would start and run, but it was running backwards. It was a 2 stroke though.
  10. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

I was trimming in proximity to some expensive glass and was thinking: I wish this Stihl had two recoils, so it could run in either direction. I sure would have shut it down and restarted in the opposite direction so it would have pinged stuff away from the glass. If it works for Mercury shouldn't it work for Stihl?:laugh: