Toro XL 38-12 Spindle removal help.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by blk74, Mar 21, 2008.

1. blk74

blk74 LawnSite Member

I am about ready to beat it into submission. I can't figure out how to get this off the deck. I started by removing the blades. I then removed the four bolts going directly into the spindle from the top snapping two of the off in the spindle....GRRR! So now it is just laying there still atteched with the pulley on one side and the spindle on the other. For the life of me I can't figure out how to remove the nut on top of the pulley to see if that will help. I have looked at the service manual online and searched and searched and nothing. Any advice other than hauling it over to the Toro dealer and bending over?

2. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

It's been about 8 years since I worked on a Toro, big up front commercial unit, 72 inch deck. So this may not be of any help. But what I had to do was remove the pulleys and blade and the 8 bolts, carriage bolts at that, that held the spindle in from the top, so the spindle would come out from underneath the deck. Best I can tell you is keep at it, sometimes the spindles will "mate" with the deck, use a soft face hammer and give it a few taps. Just make sure you know which way the spindle needs to go to come out.
    Good Luck

ericg likes this.
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I can't say for sure because my Toro's a different model and I'm not sure where you're stuck...
    But what I do know is there exist about a dozen or so steps to this silly job, if they're not done in the exact order then you are so stuck until you perform these steps in the correct order. The first time or two is the worst, it's not so bad later.

The two things that come to mind on mine there's a clip at the bottom that if I forget to remove it's all the same problem.
    Check also for a small hex bolt screwed into the side of the spindle OR pulley that likes to hold things in place.
    This one on mine is underneath the top pulley, the hex bolt itself actually goes through the pulley (yours is underneath?).
    And there might be two, especially if there's a key (and don't forget if there is you'll need another key as well).
    Last but not least wd-40 or Liquid Wrench, some kind of a lube let sit overnight, PB Blaster or any of them.

A hammer certainly does help but don't hit it too hard before making sure something else isn't in the way.
    Also I found to soften the blow it helps to put an old mower blade in between spindle and hammer (wood is too soft).
    Whatever you do don't hit that alloy straight, it will crack it.

Other notes:
    First time it took me 8 hours!
    2nd time 4...
    3rd one 45 minutes LOL! (all right maybe it was an hour or two but lickety split).
    I ain't lying, it's a matter of the steps have to be done in the correct order, beyond that it's relatively easy.

4. peak2p2000

peak2p2000 LawnSite Member

the easiest way to get the nut above the pulley off i with an impact gun.if you dont have one then put the blade back on and uea block of wood to block the blade with and then turn the nut off,just know that once the nut is off the spindle is goig to slide out of the bottom of the housing.