1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Toro Z 27 Kaw bad idle

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by jkkalbers, Apr 18, 2003.

1. jkkalbers

jkkalbers LawnSite Member

I have A 1999 62" Toro Z-master with the 27 hp Kawasaki Liquid cooled engine. When I'm Idling (not moving with the blades off) it revs up and down by itself. When I turn on the blades it goes away. It can also be choked out, meaning if I pull the choke out a little it goes away. Me and a friend who used to work on these replaced the plugs took the carb. apart and cleaned it and adjusted the valve timing. it still does it. What else can I try? It Has about 1600 hours on it. Thank you.
  2. Conoverbandit

Conoverbandit LawnSite Member

I got the same problem with my Toro, but it has a 20 Kohler Command, and I have done same thing you have but no relief either.I can screw air jet all the way in and dosen't affect it either.I think it's in the carb somehow.If I get mine strightened out I'll let ya know.
  3. Scott182

Scott182 LawnSite Member

The reason for this is due to an obstrucion in the carburetor. If choking helps the running then a piece of debris is left in a passage causing a blockage. A more detailed cleaning of the carb is necessary or if unable to dislodge blockage, a carb replacement would be necessary.
  4. jkkalbers

jkkalbers LawnSite Member

I figured it had to be some kind of blockage in the Carb. I'll take it apart again and clean it one more time. If it doesn't work, I'll try replacing it. I'll keep you informed.
  5. Kglenn04

Kglenn04 LawnSite Senior Member

I too have a toro proline 44 did you ever solve this problem