Toro Z - 400 vs Exmark Z HP??????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shuter, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Last time I ask. Monday I am buying a new Z-turn to replace a Toro. I have demoed both (and Scag). Both have 23 hp Kawi with 48" decks. Hydros have the same power and warranty is the same. Toro $8400. Exmark $8900.

Looking for any last minute opinions. Thanks.

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I prefer the eXmark setup with the 48" deck.
    I prefer the Toro setup with the 52" deck.

Comparing 48's the deck is centered on the eXmark, which I prefer. On the Toro, the deck is offset. So the eXmark has an inch or so of trim on each side, where as the Toro has a few inches, but all on one side... and the trade off for that is that the right rear tire sticks out past the deck. So it runs on uncut grass or on top on your previous tire track.

Comparing the 52" machines, the Toro has the superior design in my opinion. If you will take time to take a closer look you will see that Toro runs a slightly different front frame half. The right castor fork is offset too extreme right in relation to the deck. The 52" Toro is not that way. (but the 48" Toro is) This causes some cutting problems on the 52" eXmark in tall and/or stringy/stemy conditions. This may well be the same with the 48" Toro.

Of those two, I'd go eXmark for the 48".....

3. Shuter

Thanks, Envy. 52" deck is also an option.

4. Envy Lawn Service

You are more than welcome.
    Now just bite the bullet and get a 60" deck. It's worth it. :D

I'm just glad you could absorb what I was saying. It really helps if you have a dealer that now has both due to Toro buying eXmark... and can see the machines side by side.

But anyways, glad you caught on to what I was saying. I've discussed this a few times this year and tried to point it out when I felt it might be useful to know. So it's important to understand that I'm not trying to take anything away from the machines, but rather to share what my experiences have been....

Both brands are great machines. No doubt about it. In fact, if you mow mostly lush pure stands of 'turf' grass all the time, none of what I have said would even be an issue with the 52" eXmark nor what my assumptions are about the 48" Toro having the same issue.

So I'm not being anti-eXmark or anti-Toro at all. Just putting something out there for you to consider when trying to choose between the two, and sharing with you what my decisions would be....

But the eXmark is prettier... LOL....

5. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

WOW ! Those are some outrageous prices, $1000 to $1300 high !

6. Envy Lawn Service

Yeah, I forgot to address that and I agree.

I also forgot to point out that the Toro has the same deck as the full size Toro machines, where as the eXmark does not have the same deck as the full size eXmark machines. Point being.... The Toro has a deeper 5 1/2" deck and the eXmark does not.

This would also account for another difference in the two that might matter. Since the Toro has the deeper deck, that also means it has a shorter 4 1/2" maximum cutting height, an of course that means less maximum under deck clearance for loading, crossing curbs and clearing obstacles. This might matter to some, and make no real difference for others...

7. Shuter

Thanks again. The prices seem to be higher in the Northeast, more on Cape Cod. I could travel and maybe save some money, but the service plays a big part. Of course the dealer will service the product if bought else where, but that may take a week or two. I have found that the dealers I use will service the machines in 1 to 2 days if bought from their dealership.

Envy, the lawns being cut are all high end homes with irrigation and constant weed control and fert. Some could be cut evry 3-4 days, but the customers won't pay that much, only once per week.

8. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Hi I was in the same boat as you tossed up between the eXmark and Toro z400. I went with the toro. Yes envy is right about the offset but I on the otherhand like the more offset as I can trim better with it. The turbo force deck has been outstanding. Both are a quality machine and you wont be disapointed with either. I paid 5995 for my 48 z master with a 19. The grass is lighter down here than up there I think but I havent had any problem in 8 inch grass at half speed or a bit more. This thing just throws grass like theres no tmrw.

I could of gotten a lazer HP for the same cost but after alot of hands on inspecting the decks I just felt the toro was a better machine for me. I just rolled 50 hours and its been a total champ. I didnt go wider only because I cut alot of uneven terrain and bumpy yards (considered ferris for this reason) and my old 61 seemed to scalp and tear up alot. Yes I could cut some of my yards faster with the 60 but I just think overall this was the best size for me.

Oh yeah your prices seem way out of whack too. I was quoted 6995 I do belive on the 23 hp zmaster. I just didnt need the extra power. 1000-1300 savings might be worth a little weekend trip. Just call a few dealers elsewhere and then tell yours you found a lower price. My dealer makes 9% above cost on mowers. Always gives the best sale price.

9. cushman

cushman LawnSite Member
    from se pa

I looked at the Toro and Exmark Z's and liked the deck on the Toro better, seemed more rugged, and the adjustable baffle works great, also the rubber discharge chute works well.

With a $500 difference it would be a no brainer for me...

10. Shuter

Envy, looks like an Exmark in the picture. Do you use the collection system? Toro is vertical and Exmark in horizontal. Wondering what your expereince may be. Thanks