Toro Z Did i get a good deal???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Gtotoy, Feb 20, 2001.

1. Gtotoy

Gtotoy LawnSite Member

Hey guys i just bought a 1996 Toro Z 222 from a local dealer, With 469hrs on it for $4200. Mower looks new and runs great and all original.
    Does this sound like a good deal to you all, also anything to look out for, I.e. head gaskets, hydro's and the such.

2. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like a really good deal. The dealer was probably tired of looking at it in the corner. What type of engine is on it? If it is the Kohler 25 then you may have some problems if they haven't been remedied. I would jump on any Exmark, Toro or DC Z in great shape for around $4K.

3. Gtotoy

Gtotoy LawnSite Member

It is the Kohler 25, And im not sure of any problems, let alone if they have been fixed. Please let me know.

4. Dillon

Dillon LawnSite Member

On mine when it was new, was burning oil. I think they had to put a new head gasket on it. That was 1000hrs. ago and I haven't had any problems since.

5. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like you got a real good deal. I brought a new Z-Master last season a 2000 model for 8100k I also have a 25 Kohler, ive read all the bad things about them on the forum but thats prob about 1motor in every 200 made that has that prob, Kohlers a popular engine down here in southern In.I know cutters that have put over 4000hrs in two seasons on them with no major problems. Ive just go 300plus on mine. Wish i could find a deal like that. Good Luck Marks Mowing Service

6. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

Gtotoy,

I bought the little brother of the Z222. I bought my 1998 model Z118 from the dealer new for $4,500 in 1999. Mine has the 18 hp, with a 52" deck. I think they are a good mower, and they give a quality cut, but they are not anywhere equal to the newer Z's or Exmarks.

Yours and my models were Toro's attempt at a ZTR, they were both dropped from the Toro line when they bought Exmark. I do not think you got a BAD deal cause the mower will do a good job. It just will not do what the newer Z's will and the added attachments are basically non exsistant.

But it WILL CUT GRASS with a quality level cut, IT's a TORO!

7. Gtotoy

Gtotoy LawnSite Member

thanks guys

8. Gtotoy

Gtotoy LawnSite Member

actullay its the 22 hp. any more thoughts about the price i paid Thankz

9. Gtotoy

Gtotoy LawnSite Member

any more thoughts or comments?