1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Toro Z Master 52" Deck not cutting well.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mickpeg, May 29, 2003.

1. mickpeg

mickpeg LawnSite Member

I'm getting a poor quality cut from our Toro Z Master with a 52" deck. The blades are sharp and the deck is clean yet the cut area is tufty and the dandilions look like nothing has gone near them. The grass right now is wet and thick but I'm having no trouble with our Kubota ZD-18. It is cutting the same grass with no problems. Anyone else having this problem with a Toro 52" deck?
  2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

what's your deck height? i get lots of stragglers when its too high. somewhere in the 2.75-3.5" range should be good.

btw, you don't have the blades on upside down do you? :D :D :D
  3. Kohls Landscaping Co

Kohls Landscaping Co LawnSite Member

just bought a 52" 17 hp kawi and for some reason the left side of the deck leaves a strip of mulch up grass behind it...i don't understand??...but that's the only problem i've had.... (it's normally only when the grass is pretty thick....)
  4. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 52" skag that will leave mulched up grass behing.When this happens,it is because the blades needs to be sharpened or replaced
  5. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have one word: EXMARK!!!!!!!!!
  6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

If it has the SFS deck, then you are getting as good a cut as you can expect from that piece of junk deck. I had the 60" SFS deck and it was the worst deck I have ever had on any ZTR. The factory rep. even told me it was designed to mow in average conditions where you are doing weekly cuts. He said it does not perform well in wet or heavy, thick conditions. You might want to run double blades. That is what I did, and it helped SOME. I finally sold it and bought another Grasshopper.:mad:
  7. CMerLand

CMerLand LawnSite Senior Member

To try to help you out, check the blades as the others suggested, but my guess is if your having problems with Dandelions its probably because the lawn is in real poor shape. We have a lawn like that and although you cut most of em, a bunch just pop back up and laugh at ya. If thats the case you need to tell the client to treat the problem not the symptom and get some fertilzer and weed control on that lawn.

Now for the real reason for my post.

Let me commend you on your absolutely worthless post. Why is Exmark the best??? Cause thats what you bought? What other ZTRs do you have extended experience with??? Have you plunked down the hard green for a TORO and found out it didnt work???? Im sick of useless posts like yours that provide no benefit to the new guy asking the question. I wonder how many of your other 535 posts have any real value.

What if his closest exmark dealer is 400 miles away? Have you helped him with your comment? NO. Have you made any suggestion at all, like the others here have, that perhaps its the blades or some other problem. NO!!!! Have you in any way added useful piece of information to answer this guys question? NO!!!!!!

All you've done is thumped on your chest and said "I BOUGHT AN EXMARK SO IT MUST BE THE BEST"

Thank you very little.
  8. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been in this business 25 years. I have used every kind of mower out there. Yes, I own an Exmark Lazer Hp 52. No, I wasn't thumping my chest because I own one. I demoed a Toro Z Master and found that the SFS deck was a very poor performing deck. I demo mowers any chance I can. As a matter of fact I have Hustler Super Z I am demoing as we speak. This dealer has been bugging me to try it. So I went and picked it up yesterday. When I take it back tomorrow I will tell the dealer thanks but no thanks I'll stick w/ Exmark. I have yet to find a mower that can hold my Lazer's dirty underwear.
  9. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

;) I been running a Toro Z Master now on its fourth yr, It does a wonderful job, its also cuts nice in the rain and has a great cut, i run scag also but like my Toro much better, Ive never had the problem your talking about, Make sure your deck is clean, and the pitch is right, its been so wet here ive been running just singles, not gators, just a standard high lift blades, If your deck is picthed right and clean and blades are sharpe you should be getting a very good cut im cutting at 3-1/2 to 4 inches and have no problems with Dandelions, don't let anyone tell you that the Z-Masters not a good machine, ive owned several other brands in the last 14yrs and i like my Toros...........Marks Mowing Service

business pictures 075.jpg
  10. hubb

hubb LawnSite Member

I'm no expert but it sounds similar to what I had on a new scag when I bought it about 2yrs ago. The pitch was almost level. I added about 1/2 to 3/4inch of pitch to the rear of the deck and started running doubles and it cuts like a dream to this day.

By the way fellas, Exmark and Toro are made by the same company. Although I do agree about the SFS deck. Stamped decks just don't seem to disperse the grass as well as deep welded decks do. Thats why I don't really care for John Deere mowers either. (sorry John Deere fans);)