Toro Z-master Diesel

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Boonman, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Boonman

Boonman LawnSite Member
    from NY

Just purchased a Z593-D 60" on Saturday. Put about 10 hours on it so far, this thing is incredible. Cuts at full stick. The Turbo force deck discharges very well. I haven't played with the baffle much, but the machine is very economic on fuel, and the power is tremendous. Although, it is in the shop right now, one of the hydro lines was leaking at the wheel motor fitting. I am liking this more and more. I will have it back tomorrow, to do some more testing. :drinkup:
  2. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Is it brand new or used?
  3. Boonman

Boonman LawnSite Member
    from NY

It is a brand new machine. I will have it back this morning. Sometime I will be whipping up a discharge chute blocker for it, as well as a striping kit. Hopefully by the end of the week those 2 items will be done.
  4. That's the machine I'd settled on too. The Kubota in lieu of the Dihatsu.
    Glad to hear you're pleased with it.
    I'll be looking forward to hearing more about it.

5. Boonman

Boonman LawnSite Member
    from NY

I have cut with this machine alot more, logged some considerable hours so far. I made a striping unit. Used a conveyor roller, and machined some Aluminum brackets that bolt the the scalp brackets. Works FANTASTIC!! The machine side hills and holds slopes even better than the Clipper, which has been the best balanced machine I have been on thus far. I attribute it to the added weight of the diesel. The ROPS is coming off the machine. Too many trees it catches on. Fuel consumption is around .8 GPH. It has cut production time down about 8 hours so far. As it stands, I won't be cutting this Saturday. Which is a first in a Looooooong time. This thing flies. Dixe Chopper advertizes the fastest machine. But it still won't leave the cut of an exmark or a toro at the same speed. Aside from my trailer hauler, this is one of the best purchases I have made. I like this machine. :cool2:
  6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

How is power on the uphills in deep grass?

Are you getting it to blow black smoke?

I've heard some bad reports of the diesel on the eXmark side, but that TRITON deck requires a lot more power.

Are TORO and eXmark using different Kubota engines, or is TORO just calling theirs a 23, and eXmark calling theirs a 25?
  7. Boonman

Boonman LawnSite Member
    from NY

Uphill in heavy grass is not possible full out. Back it off to about half stick and it's good though. That's on a STEEP hill though. One where it's necessary to move forward a bit to keep the casters and the deck on the ground. Right on the verge of need the ridiculous ROPS, or switching to the walk. I have gotten it to smoke just a hair. It is really good about not smoking. I have not stalled it yet. I demo'd 27 Liquid Kawi, and a 28 Kohler. Both of which I ran full stick untill they stalled on a couple of my "thickest" accounts. The diesel, I haven't been able to stall. It leaves a puff of smoke, and keeps on truckin'. As far as I know, the 23 horse Kubota is the largest engine in that classification family. My Bobcat excavator has one of the smaller engines in that family. I don't know what model Exmark uses in their machine. If it's Kubota, maybe it's the next block size up? I am not too sure. Last evening, I hit a property one of my realtor accounts gave me early in the week that needed to be done "ASAP". I took that to mean it was a field most likely. It was. It has NOT been touched since last fall. The grass (more like hay at that point) was mid thigh high. I set the deck at 3.5 and tore into it. After walking the property of course. What an animal. I did hit an unexpected rock in the middle of the yard, but there was no way in hell I would have seen it on any walk through... Anyways, I got it knocked down, then set the deck to 2.75, and hit it again. Left the clippings to dry out today, It's supposed to be hot today. The machine performed flawlessly. It only dropped RPM a few times. The deck discharged awesome, Baffle wide open. Very little clumping, even with 2.5'-3' tall weeds. Actual grass height was around 12-18". The machine will get it's first sharpening today, so I will see how the under deck maintenance is..... Otherwise, it has been fantastic thus far, and my new dealer has been a Godsend compared to the last one. This dealer is commercial first, the way it should be, compared to the last few dealers, "maybe we'll get to it Wednesday, maybe Thursday...." Lazy bastards. Anyways, :cool2: :clapping:
  8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Now there is a statement I have much respect for.

The Zetons & Chargers can really hold a slope and really shine on uneven ones!
    Never seen another ZTR that could back up the grades it can either.

I'd like to have one here for a good week to run along side the Lesco I have now just to settle in my mind which one is best.

Anyways, if the Toro diesel is better on slopes it really must be something.
    Oh, and it's definately due to the weight of the diesel.
  9. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I don't see pictures :confused: :confused: :confused: We need pictures!
  10. Boonman

Boonman LawnSite Member
    from NY

I do not have any place to host pics? I do have some pics of it when I brought it home, and a couple pics of the striper I made.