TORO Z Master. Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by rtr, Aug 13, 2005.

1. rtr

rtr LawnSite Member

I service this mower for a friend. Was changing blades for him today and noticed these curves. Not familar with these mowers but this can't be right can it?

[​IMG]

Larger Picture......

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/4057/hermer0074iw.jpg

Also whenever I engage the blades,any motor speed, it makes a horrible rattling sound and then the motor dies. Sounds like a bucket of rocks under the deck. At first the belt was jumping off every time I engaged, but the motor would keep runnning. I tightened it and the belt stays on now but motor dies now when I engage. I have tried at numerous levels of tension and as long as it is not totally loose the belt stays on but motor will die. I don't think its a tension problem. :help: :help:

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Another quality toro product. Looks to me like you have a fried spindle bearing assembly from what you described. try taking all tension off of the belt and spinning each spindle. Do they all spin freely? Back to the picture, that does not look normal at all to me.

3. rtr

rtr LawnSite Member

Yes, with the belt off all 3 spin freely. Another thing is it has been 70 hours since servicing this mower. When I greased the spindles all took at least 10 pumps. Even in 70 hours I don't think they should have lost that much!?

4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Try engaging the pto with all the blades off. Does it still make a rattling noise?

5. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

Gotta love the toros. :rolleyes:

6. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

if it takes anything more than about 3-4 pumps to fill the spindles, I'd say a seal is gone or something is leaking BADLY. try cleaning everything up real good, then put some grease in it, and replace the spindles, that curve is DEFINATELY NOT normal.

7. rtr

rtr LawnSite Member

No, but the belt is still popping off. I looked at the manual and it appears there is a small metal guide type rod/arm missing. I am sure the spindles are gone though.

Yeah I knew that was BAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDD. I have now turned the mower over to the owner and told him to get it to the dealer before using it again. The spindles being gone is almost assured. You shoulda seen the damage to some of the blades I have taken off this thing in the past! Some were brand new but so damaged when they came off they could not be sharpened.

Thanks for the tips and direction guys! :) :)

8. rtr

rtr LawnSite Member

If you look at the middle left of the pic you can just see the front wheel of MY Tiger Cub :cool2:

9. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

5 pumps every 8 hours will keep the Toro spindles alive.

Oldtimer

10. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

yep, that is typical of the redulous toro blade saddles, they bend up on the 1st day, they are mean't to support, add strength to the blade, but they don't obviously, and the way they are designed they can't be removed or replaced, and they can effect the blade level.....look at one close without the blade and you'll see what I mean.

I had my machine, Z588E, for 400 working hours, every week I'd grease it, each spindle would take 15 to 20 pumps. These spindle assemblies are hungry! That is not a bad thing, just how it is....

With that other issue, 1. check the belt, sounds damaged. 2. check idler pullies, these can wear quite fast on the toro's, 3. with that long belt, disengaging, engaging at low revs will shake the crap outa everything, the book say turn blades on and off at full revs, follow the book saves the rattling. I know many say it wears things out engaging etc at high revs cluth wise, but surely the eccesive rattle will wear more though lol.

If you are engaging at high revs....sounds like a worn, frayed belt, or tension isn't set right.