Toro Z-Master leaving mysterious stripe....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mhussey, May 5, 2006.

1. mhussey

mhussey LawnSite Senior Member

I have been noticing when I am cutting, the stripe I leave behind has a narrow stripe(maybe caster tire width) going the opposite direction than the large stripe. When it started this I sharpened my blades and still have the same effect. Just wandering what this could be. Any help would be very thankful.

2. mr mow

mr mow LawnSite Senior Member

check your tire pressure on the side that is cutting poorly and make sure it is the same as the other tire. just had this happen to me on my wb and one was 4lbs lower than the other, aired it, fixed problem till it leaks alittle more out

3. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

Caster bent?

4. mhussey

No I don't think so. I haven't jammed it into anything causing it to bend. The mower is almost new. It has 36 hours on it.

5. OutdoorExtras

OutdoorExtras LawnSite Member

Check the underside of the deck for damaged edges or loose deflectors; also a large amount of grass built up under the deck could be the cause.

6. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

Mysterious stripes? Sounded eerie, I was thinking you were making crop circles...:hammerhead:

James

7. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Its hard to tell whats going wrong from the description, but are your anti-scalp wheels too low? I moved my anti-scalp wheels down another notch and it was lifting the deck up at the heights I was trying to cut at. The deck couldn't get proper suction to the lawn and cut it well which resulted in it leaving lines in the stripe.

8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, like I told a guy here the other day... my wierd reverse stripe effect issue turned out to be a warped deck. Not straight from the factory. So the blades were not hanging evenly in the deck. So I had an issue with the blade doing what I call "tail cutting".... meaning the blade was doing it's cutting on the back swing, which pushed the grass in the opposite direction of my travel. So I would have a backwards stripe streak inside each pass.

But, thankfully the person I told this did not have the same problem.
    Turned out one or all of his blades were on upside down.

9. mowtech

mowtech LawnSite Senior Member

Lot's of good advice posted here. A better description of the exact location of the stripe would be helpful. Pictures even better.

10. mhussey

I pumped my 2 caster tires up a little and cut my own yard. It seemed to help a lot. I will see it does this coming up week. Thanks for all the help.