Toro Z-Master vs. Walkers vs. Scag Cougar

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by advantage landscaping, Oct 16, 2007.

1. advantage landscaping

advantage landscaping LawnSite Member

All of these have the same look to them with the grass catcher behind the driver's seat. I am looking at adding one and I really like them because of the versatility and affordability (used machine, mind you)

Anybody like one in particular? Why? I have a few I can look at for sale around here and want to know where to spend my time.

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

The toro one is still out there??. Walker would be the one i would get. there still making them.

3. el toro

el toro LawnSite Member

I think the walkers are a lot lighter than the toro and scag which makes a big difference in leaving tire marks and general wear and tear on grass. I'd go with a walker.

4. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

i love my walker, i have a 20mt with 42" grass catching deck. and 48" side discharge deck option. also have high lift dump well worth the money. buy a use walker 20 hp and have the bigger blower installed and the high dump and it will more than do the job don't bother with the toro or scag look alikes. go walker

5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Walker.

I have used a Scag Cougar, heavily built but not in the class of a Walker. Never rode a Toro and don't know if they are still out there. I knew a guy who had one around me here and he did not care for it.

I still have my Walker and will always own one. It has a place in my business.

6. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Toro. The best!

7. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i've heard nothing but horror stories about the early toro and exmark explorer. the scag and buntyn (yes they made one too) seem to be ok, but it'll never replace my walker! the exmark navigator seems to be pretty well built, but it's almost a red copy of the walker, so why wouldn't it be?

8. John Gamba

from ct

Not really. exmark took all the complaints of the long running walker and solved them.

9. advantage landscaping

advantage landscaping LawnSite Member

I have heard that the walkers are tougher to drive though??? Any comments about that? (The three levers over the two)

10. John Gamba

from ct

Is there a toro available in your area??? the scag,walker and Navigator use the same type controls