1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Toro Z Master Z100

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by win1free, Mar 30, 2004.

1. win1free

win1free LawnSite Member

I came across a Toro dealer pushing the Z Master Z100 ZTR with 44" deck and 18hp Kohler OHV single-cylinder for $4999.00 while getting quotes on a Exmark 36" TTHP. The Z is only $300 more than the TTHP. Its looks like the 44" Z100 will fit thru a 48" gate.

Any advice on the Z100 and/or a single-cylinder engine?

2. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

I have never used any of the above mentioned machines so I can't comment on that, but I can tell you Toro make quality mowers, I've bought 2 Toro ZTR's in the last 12 months, latest is the new Z588E. I have heard the Z100 is pretty good for a smaller Z.

good luck.
  3. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

I have a 100 series toro that has the 17 hp on a 44" deck and it works well, the 18 should be even better. The price you were given is about $1,000 under regular price. If its new i would grab it for a good small ztr.
  4. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Not a big fan of the SFS deck on the 100's. I would either bump up to a Turbo Force deck on a 500 series or go w/36" TTHP which should be more productive through the gate than a rider regardless of deck.
  5. Edgewater

Edgewater LawnSite Senior Member

I have no problem at all with 48" gates and my 100. The Kawi is great, but I don'tknow about the Kholer.

The 100 is a GREAT machine for residential, leaves a nice cut and is fairly light. It is also good in tight areas.

6. bart may

bart may LawnSite Senior Member
    from montana

my friend is a dealer and I believe that is about cost. You better get it. The retail is around $6,200. He sold me one last year for $5,200 and the local dealers went balistic, saying that it was sold for cost.
  7. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

It may well be compact enough for res. lawns but have you ever tried the mulch kit on the SFS 44" deck? The deck is so shallow you can only mulch in ideal conditions. Not being able to mulch on small res lawns can slow you down more than a smaller deck.
  8. we had two toro 100 series ..both were 52 inch...now i see you are in the south ..your turf may get different results from the sfs dec then our cool season bluegrass does.

The sfs deck sucked on our turf type...you cut three inchs off and three inchs shoot out the discharge ...doesnt chop the clippings worth squat.should ok on a 44 inch mower.

As far as price thats a great price imo
  9. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Toro Z-147 44" with 17hp Kawi. LOVE IT. Not quite as nice as my ExMark 48", but similar. I don't think the deck on the Toro (SFS) is as good as the deck on the ExMark. (As others have stated, it is shallower and doesn't give clippings enough time to be chopped up again.) I have been running mine with DOUBLE BLADES, which has seemed to help. Definitely will fit thru smaller gates than my 48" will. Overall, I am definitely happy with it, and the price you have makes it sound like a good deal.

10. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

The old style Toro's with the SFS decks, is
    a poorly designed deck, in my opinion. I perfer Scag myself, we have one 48/19hp Kaw, Tiger Cub, and are planning to pick-up another one tomorrow. They are made better than the Z100 series and have a better deck design. If I was going Toro it would defiantly be the Z500 series.

Lovell's Lawn Care