Toro Z, small or large frame?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jimmy Bell, Apr 9, 2003.

1. Jimmy Bell

Jimmy Bell LawnSite Member

I'm trying to decide between a Toro Z 19 HP with 52" deck or the large frame with 25HP and 52" deck. I know the larger frame is faster 9.5 vs 8.1 mph. I have been told the large frame has a smoother ride. I want to stick to a 52" deck and I have pretty much decided on Toro since the dealer is great and will take my Deere tractor (GT235) in trade, actually gave me a great deal. Will the 19 Kaw be strong enough? Does the mulch kit work good? I know Exmark, Dixie and Scag fans will say to try them and I would except this dealer is the only one that will trade me and I'd rather listen to Barry Manilow for hours than try to sell that Deere myself! As Lt. Columbo would say,"just one more thing sir" he also has a great deal on a Husgvarna 25/52" - but for some reason I get bad vibes about that one, even though I've heard wonderful first hand reports. OK - please let me know what you think. Oh yeah, I cut 4 acres for myself and widowed mom and 4 acres for an elderly neighbor. Not planning on a full time gig unless I get laid off. Thanks folks.

2. Lawn Specialties

Lawn Specialties LawnSite Member

I have been looking at the same mower you are. The only thing that would bother me about the 52 on the big is not haveing any trim side for getting under bushes. I know you may not want to order one but you can get a 23hp on the small frame and I think it kicks the ground speed up to 9.5. You can check toros web site to be sure. By the way I know a lco who bought a 26e.f.i. with a 60" deck. When it went in for warranty work they gave him a small frame with 19hp and 52" as a loaner and he said he loved it and wished he'd saved the cash and bought the little one to begin with.

3. Boycea

Boycea LawnSite Senior Member

I have the Z100 with the 23hp Kawi and a 52" deck. I've had no problems with it and feel the ride is smooth enough. I have only used two ZTR's and the other one was a lesco viper, so I cant really compare it, but no problems as of yet. Good luck.

Adam