1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Toro Z users what blades and set up do you use on your toro deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by barringtonbrothers, Jun 23, 2004.

1. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

I run a toro Z100 mower with a 52inch sfs deck. I run single gators on it. They work well, but not as good as my notched excaliburs on my exmark. I want to run excaliburs on my toro, but the only thing I am worried about is the excalibur blades have a bigger bolt hole and I am afraid of the blades moving around. Other than that, I dont see any other reasons why the blades wont work, same lenght. Are there notched blades like the excalibur I can get for my toro if the excaliburs wont work? What do you toro uses use, and how well does your set up work for you.
  2. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Try RAPTOR blades, great for mulching AND side discharging.

I'm now using them on my Z588E, truly amazing results with the adjustable baffle, but even on your SFS deck they should be impressive I would think.

Stens corporation sells them.

There is a recent thread about these, search for Raptor...

3. ooooo mystic one down in outer limits of Australia.....any onlineplaces to get those raptors
  4. barringtonbrothers

Whats the bump in the blade for. They look just like my gators except that hump between the cutting edge and middle of the blade.
  5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Is this a sarcastic remark?
    I have no patience for it.
  6. Tonyr

Yep, that raised cutting edge does the trick, you want stripes, get these!

The clippings are way smaller than highlifts too.

Stens sell them, their link is at the bottom of this page,

These are not like gators, only similarity is the fins....I have not used them in wet grass yet though, long and thick they work great....I'd open the baffle Odin in wet grass with these as they are like gators in the sense cut and recut, only these have a lot more lift and discharge abilities.

7. barringtonbrothers

I might just give those a try. let me know how they work in wet grass when you find out your self. Thanks again Tonyr.
  8. Tonyr

My results will be different to yours, over here I mainly cut bermuda lawns and acreage stuff, and at 2 to 2.5'', very different conditions here, so vacume etc at a higher setting like you guys have could be different.

Also I have a Turbo Force deck which will give different results to a SFS deck.

In wet grass I open the baffle and get a great result at my cutting height, if I close the baffle on wet grass the clippings are almost mulch and gets lots of little turf turds, they often break up in flight or on landing. But still better than high lifts and Atomics.

I paid $120 for 3 blades to try, well worth the money.

You guys pay less than $10 a blade don't yas?

At $30 you can't really go wrong, just buy a set, you are the only one who will know how good they are on your mower on your properties.

They work fantastic in dry and very good in wet, but they are a dry weather blade like all mulch blades, the finish on wet grass here is better than highlifts due to smaller clippings.

Not much more I can tell you really, search for the raptor thread and hopefully that can help you, John Gamba told me about them so read his comments, as he would cut at a similar height to you maybe you could ask him?

Let me know how they perform for you please...

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

$120 for a set of blades HOLY *^%%$# Batman.
    Not being sarcastic but can you really make money down there. I've seen your post about what you payed for the 588 and now the blades--WOW . Overhead to kill a guy!
  10. barringtonbrothers

Wow, 120 thats about double cost of what it takes to put new blades on my Z from the dealers around here.