1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Toro Z ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AAXteriors, Jan 19, 2008.

1. AAXteriors

AAXteriors LawnSite Member

I have been looking into getting a a Toro zturn for this upcoming season. Particularly the Z450. I'm in NJ so just wondering how they cut up here in the northern grasses. I would go with an Exmark because I already have an Exmark walkbehind but have heard the horror stories of the Triton deck on the Exmark Z's. So if anyone has experience or recommendations I would greatly appreciate them.

PS- Are the Triton decks cutting bad up here or only down south. I cant get an honest answer out of my dealer. He says he hasn't heard about many problems with the Triton deck around here.

2. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Call Exmark directly about improvements/problems w/Triton decks at 1-800-479-8379 I've always liked my Ultra's but I need to update soon too.
  3. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I beleive that you can now get the ultra cut deck on Emark again. I think enough people complained and Exmark listend.
  4. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

We got a Z580-D with a 60'' Turbo Force. Don't have any complaints against the deck. I like the adjustable baffles and it leaves a nice cut.
  5. lawnboy858

lawnboy858 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Z450 with a 52 inch Turbo Force Deck. I have never had any problems with the deck, other than the time I cut in pouring down rain. The adjustable baffles are key, as you can easily change them job to job.
  6. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

triton in the north is where they are having the trouble. I have a turbo force and had a triton no comparison turbo force deck. The ultra cut is comparable to the toro.
  7. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

I just spoke with the exmark rep up here the ultra cut deck is only offered in limited quantity and is being fased completely out. my understanding is that the lazer as is the mower that has this deck and they only have a 48, 52 if I understood right. I have heard both horror stories and rave reviews of their new deck. My understanding is that the latest version is supposed to be pretty good especially in fescue and bluegrass

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 52" Toro Z. I cut in Central NJ and I love it. Thats just my opinion. Let us know what you decide.
  9. AAXteriors

AAXteriors LawnSite Member

Yeah but only on certain models and like packey said i think its on its way out. I tried to see if there were any used Exmarks with the triton deck but it seems around here lco's run them into the ground.
  10. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

Ultra cut vs turboforce ,both good decks
    t/force currently available and alot stronger 4 those demanding jobs