Toro Z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by EHesseyLawns, Jul 24, 2002.

1. EHesseyLawns

EHesseyLawns LawnSite Member

im really interested in my company growing next year...i am interested in getting a Toro Ztr, the best one for the money is what im any of you toro ztr owners out there have any major complaints? give me all the positive and negative you can please...and also, cud i put my ztr and my wb on a single axle trailer or wud it be too much stress on the axel? thanks

2. angus

angus LawnSite Member

I work for my father and uncles one of whom is a member here odin00 they have two 52 inch zmasters .
    One has a 19 horsepower kawasaki and one a 23 horsepower kohler.
    These machines cut smooth and lay lines real well.

Their one flaw is they dont chop up the grass to good in heavy growth .
    If the grass blade that is cut is 3 inches long it will be discharged 3 inches long.
    In heavy growth periods double cutting is a given.
  3. EHesseyLawns

EHesseyLawns LawnSite Member

angus, is it possible to run doubles on the z's well? i have doubles on my WB and im not too impressed, but they're growing on me i think...and bout how fast do they go? the 19 hp?
  4. angus

angus LawnSite Member

Ive changed the blades on these mowers a lot of times and each blade fits in a cradle.
    Some of the other zmaster owners might can advise you better but it seems to me it would be hard to double them up because of that cradle.
    We have been useing high lift blades on the zmasters.
    Ground speed on the 19 horse is 8.1 mph and on the 23 horse kohler 10.0

Hope this helps out some
  5. mowin at the lake

mowin at the lake LawnSite Member

I've got a 27kaw liquid cooled z (62 inch) and the dealer replace the right pump and wheel motor at 320 hours. It is a very good machine, I like it a lot better than the jd f620 that we used to run. As far as weight i think mine weighs around 1200-1300 pounds plus i have the toro bagger it adds about 400-500 pounds(without any grass in the bagger) and takes up a lot of room.
  6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I had a Toro ZMaster, 60"/23hp kohler. I was not impressed with it and sold it after one season. It is well built, but the SFS deck would build up with wet grass worse than any other deck I have ever run. In wet conditions, the deck would fill up so bad the blades could hardly turn. Mine came with leaks at almost all of the hydr. hose connections. One of the scalping rollers fell off at 25hrs and got chewed up under the deck. Quality control must have been on vacation when it was built.
    Yes, you can run doubles. I ran doubles when it was dry enough. Use a thick flat washer to shim down the second blade so it will just clear the lip of the blade saddle. I felt like doubles did improve the looks of the cut, as it chopped up the clippings finer.:)
  7. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

Mowingman i had no idea that the Z=Masters came with a 60"deck. I purchased a 255-62" three yrs back and have no problem with the deck cloging, the one reason i bought it was do to the humid weather down here in southern IN. The grass don't get dry untill afternoon, and mine cuts great, i run doubles on all my mowers, the Z-Master set up is very easy and does a wonderful job. I added a half inch of 7ga steel on the front to prevent blowback which works great,just follow the blowout plate as a template. As far as mowing in early spring everyone has to double cut the real tall stuff,unless you bag which i don't,so far ive had no problems,just belts and normal wear.Works good for me,,,,Marks Mowing Service
  8. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Doubles and gators are your main two options. Unless you want to do some modifications, make (or have made) some baffles for the front of the deck, this helps it have a semi-mulching action like Dixie Choppers and Scag Advantage decks as well as others. LOL what I do with my Wheel Horse garden tractor (doubles don't work and couldn't get Gators easily) its deck is like a Toro SFS (Super Flow System) deck, wide open no baffles, well I just let grass buildup under the deck alittle and it sort of makes its own baffles and it gives it a semi- mulching action. You can't mow when it's sopping wet but you can mow when its damp and still get good results. Its real good when its dry and super for dry leaves as well. It makes leaves into dust in one pass.
    This may not work for all mowers but it works great on this Wheel Horse.

I demoed a Toro Z master at Louisville EXPO and I thought it was great. I thought the controls were very easy to use, visibility seemed pretty good. I dont' hear alot about them and don't see alot around here but that doesn't mean they're not good.

Just go demo some mowers and decide for yourself ;)

Oh yea, as for weight, you probably won't stress your trailer as long as you load it correctly (good rule of thumb for most cases is 60% of weight forward of trailer axle and 40% rearward of axle, this gives you best control over the load in your vehicle).

9. williamslawn

williamslawn LawnSite Member
    from SC

I have bought two this year. Had to tighten Hyd. line on one. Installed mulching kit on one and it has allot of blow back. For the money I think it is a great deal. $6599.00 Going to pick new one up next week with the new bagger installed.
  10. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

williamslawn -
    3 in one year? How many crews are you running anyhow? You must like them an awful lot.