Toro Z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Nelson, Jun 3, 2003.

1. Nelson

Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

Wow....It's been a while.....soooooooooo long that I had
    to reenter my username & password......Anyway I hope
    everyone is doing fine?

My Question is ................

18 HP 44" Toro Z Rider for $5999.00......

Is this a good deal or an average price?

2. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Average, thats what i paid for my 17hp 44" Toro Z.
  3. Nelson

How do you like the mower? Give me some pros & cons?

I am wanting to p/u one on Thursday?:D
  4. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

I love my mower. The 17hp engine really isnt underpowered for it. The only thing about it like some of the others is it leaves a few uncut tall seedheads behind but other than that cuts great. I installed a striping roller that i made on it and stripes perfect. Very good choice if you decide to get it in my opinion. And aftermarket parts are easy to get for it, ie blades, filters, and other replacement parts. Any other questions just send me an email.
  5. Nelson

I purchased it today.....Toro 44" Z

It seems not to do well with Bahia grass? I have it
    on it's lowest cut settings.... It still leaves it like it
    has barely been cut?

Anyone out there has this mower?.... If so any
    input on a better cut on Bahia grass?

Thanks for your input.... :confused:
  6. Fvstringpicker

Fvstringpicker LawnSite Fanatic

I have the 44 Z and put on a mulching kit the first day. Ain't got no problem with any grass. I usually have to double cut my grass (tifton bermuda)and that of my father-in-law cuz we fertilize the H-- out of it and it's so thick you can't drive a nail in it ;) The double cut makes it look like the greens at the golf course.
  7. broken leg

broken leg LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 23 hp 52 I would speed alittle more for the horse power because down the road you might want to pull an aerareator or sperder or get in high grass. It is nice to have when you need it.
  8. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Wish i could give you some feedback on that bud, but we dont have bahia grass in this area. Only fescue and a little bermuda and that mower does excellent in that grass. Hope it all works out for ya.
  9. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

:) Ive got a Z-Master its the 62" 25hp-Kohler, It does a wonderful job, its on its fourth yr, I do think the more engine gives you the faster blade tip speed which gives you a great cut, Ill start useing doubles next week, been to wet here so far...Marks Mowing Service

business pictures 054.jpg
  10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Doesn't Bahia grass get those tall, tough straw seedhead things? Sorta like pasture fescue that's let grow tall for hay....

Probably a tough to cut stem that blows over easily. I'd bet this is the problem...what you need is vacuum and real sharp blades....what you have is flow and you didn't sharpen those blades because they are new.

If this is the case, you are going to need to lay an edge on thise blades and I guess pick up a mulch kit. There are 2 differnet ones I think...right? I think that is what you would have to do because Toro doesn't offer any other type of baffle for the Super Flow System deck...right?