Toro Z300 Speed?

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by dobberjeff, Feb 13, 2008.

1. dobberjeff

dobberjeff LawnSite Member
    from Roy, UT

I am debating with buying a Z300 with a 34" deck compared to a 36" walk behind. The Z is supposed to be significantly faster but I want to know how much faster is it? Do you think if is worth the 2 grand more for that compared to the belt drive WB?:confused:

2. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

If you are looking on tha factor of speed, then I would say yes.
    The Z300 will go up to 8 mph as the 36" wb will go 6.2 mph. As far as weights go, the z300 is going to be heavier so depending on how soft the soil gets, you may have a traction issue or problem rutting up a lawn.

Also, even if you went with a 36" Hydro drive mower, you would be saving some money as apposed to the Z300. You'd be saving even more with the belt drive mower and thats what I would look at.

If you don't have many gated yards or even many smaller yards, a used 36" wb with a velke might be the best option as you'll get done good and save money at the same time.

3. dobberjeff

from Roy, UT

Thanks for the input! I never thought of the weight causing ruts. I currently own a snapper 36 WB belt drive with a sulky. I am liminted by gates so I must stay small. I have looked into it as much as I can, even called Toro to see if they can tell me acres per hour vs the WB. They advised me to resort to a forum to see what the guys are doing with them. If I can get more done in a day with the Z then of course I'll go with it. I'm pretty strapped for time so I am hoping to increase productivity.

4. J&R Landscaping

You might try searching it on the forum or go to Exmarks website. I think they have a page on the site that gives you the approximate acre per hour capacity. I know the brochures tell you that.

5. dobberjeff

from Roy, UT

I still cant find the info I am looking for. It is not in any brochure or on toro or exmark's site. I did find a formula on exmark.com to figure out the acres per hour. The problem is the z300 and phazer have a top speed of 8mph the WB has a top speed of 6.2, but I can not mow at 6.2 on the WB, so does anyone know if on the ztr you can mow at top speed or are they limmitted to a slower speed to give a quallity cut?

6. dobberjeff

from Roy, UT

I got an email and from exmark and they said phazer or z300 will cut at 8mp!

7. J&R Landscaping

Just depends on height settings and the grass and such. Good things take time. Personally, I don't mow all that much at top speed. Pretty close to it though.

8. Reid's Landscaping

Reid's Landscaping LawnSite Member

The z300 actually weighs less than my Toro 48" floating deck hydro walk-behind, about 150 lbs less, so with a rider they would be about scrub. I would suggest the z300 for the speed and comfort with the same cut quality.