Toro Z300 vs. Gravely 34Z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by justgreen, May 1, 2007.

1. justgreen

justgreen LawnSite Member

Hey guys,

I've been combing through this site for months now trying to find the perfect mower for my conditions. Mainly gated yards, but I need to be able to do my largest property in a reasonable amount of time. I've contemplated many mowers recently. Hustler MiniZ 36", Scag Z-cat, walkbehinds by all co's, and am finally deciding between the Toro Z300 and the Gravely 34Z.

I know there have been many discussions about both, but which one would be create a better overall cut? The Toro has an extra 2 horses, but I've been told by many sources that the Gravely is a better overall build. I'm really concerned with best overall cut as opposed to user friendliness, aesthetics, or comfort or whatever else people may find important.

In my area we have some irrigated properties that grow some thick wet grass, and i want a mower that will have the capacity to chop this up well. The Gravely deck is 5.5" if im correct, which i think will greatly help with this. Also, Gravely has a bagger that is currently available which is important in my area, especially if it doens't do a near perfect mulch job.

Thanks for all advice...

2. climber

climber LawnSite Member

Im am interested in this subject too... What is the price difference between the two models?

Dan

3. justgreen

justgreen LawnSite Member

I'm not sure about American prices, but here around Toronto, Canada, the Toro is selling for $5800 (I think its 200-400 off mrsp for spring) and the Gravely is $6200. The attachment on the Gravely for bagger is another 300 or so. Hope this helps

4. spinrider2000

spinrider2000 LawnSite Member

I have a 34z with around 450 hours experience. I would not recommend driving a 34z on any wet grass. Cutting wet grass is also a NO. In dry conditions, this is a real good machine. Very manuverable. Built heavy. On hills it takes practice. I have cut open fields, cemetaries, fenced back yards. The deck seams to bulid up in some grass conditions. I really like mine and would buy another for the type properties I cut.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I guess you are set on the two choices but if you are not satified take a look at the 36" Sentar Sport with 17hp Kaw and height adjustment lever. We have one and like it a lot it is very productive and takes little room in trailer.
    We are Scag guys but decided against a riding 36" Scag because of the size and weight....glad we passed on Scag because customers are getting more sensitive to machine size. With the 17hp it has plenty of horses.

6. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been looking at the toro z300, the exmark phazer and the gravely 34Z. Do any of these units comes with mulch kits and bags?

7. tjsaye

tjsaye LawnSite Member

I have and own both, currently the Gravely is up for sale, I have had may problems with the Gravely over its 1500 hours of use. I just purchased the Toro and its seems to me hands down the best. The Toro has a better cut and more power and is faster mower than the Gravely. I however haven't had this toro very long and time will tell if its as durable. The toro mows almost twice as fast as the gravely this will make you more money for the difference in price. I paid 5400 out the door for the Toro, and two years ago gave 4650 + tax for the Gravely. Tme is money and the Toro wins in my opinion.

8. fatboynormmie

fatboynormmie LawnSite Bronze Member

I wonder if your stops are adjusted to far in on your 34z tillers because mine fly's.Gravely claims 10 mph and my unit fly's.It's sometimes too fast for some rough yards.Might want to check that out.

9. Bigfish8

Bigfish8 LawnSite Member

I own a Gravely Compact Pro 34 and a larger Toro Z500. The Compact Pro has plenty of power and does a beautiful job in my yard. I really like the mower for my small yard but you have to be really careful when the grass is wet. The rear tires are rather narrow so they spin easily when the ground is wet. The Compact Pro provides the performance of a pro ZTR in a small package.

Good Luck!

10. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

We have 2000 hours on our 34Z. It cuts decent but it absolutely will not handle any hills and it really sucks in wet grass. The deck will clog up so bad the sails on the blades will touch the grass hanging to the underside of the deck. If I were to buy another small ZTR it would be the 36" bobcat FastCat pro

http://www.bobcatturf.com/fastcat-pro-zero-turn-riding-mower.aspx