toro z350 vs. walker

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mamabirrd, May 5, 2004.

1. mamabirrd

mamabirrd LawnSite Member

was interested in a toro 350 bagger and the salesman mentioned i consider a walker 26 hp efi(both 48") for about the same money. he called the walker the cadillac of mowers and said it was every landscapers dream to have one. how much smoke is he blowing? where does walker fit on the quality scale?better than exmark? thx

2. RTallday

RTallday LawnSite Member

IMO, Walker is the best mower in the world for bagging needs. I would personally go with the diesel engine though, a little more money, lots more time out of the enigne. Best bagging mower ever. Very good quality too, for a large machine its very versitle, the hopper is big enough to actually hold a decent amount of grass, and the impeller for bagging makes working with wet grass much easier. Its not perfect, but i say its the best. Again, i dont know much about the efi system, but i do know the diesel. Its great. Good luck.

-Rich

3. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Walker is the only way to go on that type of mower. I someday will have one, just to cut my grass. So i don't fell like i am at work. But they are hard on the wallet. Both up front and when you break something.

4. lawnrangeralaska

lawnrangeralaska LawnSite Senior Member

hey jacobson makes 2 models like a walker an toro z350

5. lawnrangeralaska

6. lawnrangeralaska

7. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

They are toys compared to the real thing.
    Plastic impeller, etc.

8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I am gonna give you some opinion from an obviously biased side as I own a Walker 26EFI and have never been on the Toro.

I will do that after I tell you that no matter what I or anyone else says, it is you that is gonna shell out ten grand for a mower to work on the lanws that you do. Not anyone else. Its a big investment and you MUST demo all that you consider.

I have owned Walkers since late 1997 and will always have a need for one. You probably understand that there is not a single mower that does all things well. There are many reasons that you may point you to choose one mower over another.
    Number one is mowing, does it work for you on the majority of the revenue producing mowing jobs. Most operators have a mix of properties but some are large area mowers. The large area guys make money with large deck Z's as in the Exmark, Toro, Dixie Chopper ect.
    I have a mix of residential and small commercial. My largest square foot property is just over 1 acre although I have a group of 4 that comprise about 2.75 acres. While I don't bag during mowing season I love the Walkers 52SD deck that has double blades. It goes thru thick and wet stuff easily and when it is dry I can get done quick. I don't bag because I don't have to and don't want to. I have sold my customers on letting it fly. I also own a 42 GHS deck for bagging and it does a great job. It is narrow enough to get thru tight spots and many gates. But the 42GHS deck is my moneymaker in the spring.
    That gets me to point 2. What ELSE can the machine do for you? My market is huge on dethatching. Not the true rip the lawn to shreads type of renovation in a truly thatched lawn but the type where I use the Walker spring tine rake to cosmetically fluff the lawn in the spring time and vacuum the dead stuff and matted leaves after the winter. I make 1/4 of my yearly income from that process.
    The Walker has the ability to use multiple attatchments and that may appeal to you.
    Preference is another factor to consider. Do you like out front or midship? Both have advantages and disadvantages. The Walkers out front deck and trim edges are great for reducing my need to string trim. I have used 60" deck ZTRS on my properties. I do get done mowing quicker but I have to go back and TRIM lots of areas because the mid ship couldn't get there. Time savings was minimal to none for me.
    The 26EFI is great and I would buy one again. I have had mine since 2000 and I have about 1200 hours on it. The EFI came out new in 1999 and in production in 2000. There was a design flaw in some of the fuel pumps and my only problem was a warranty fix at about 200 hours. That problem has been taken care of. I have had ZERO engine problems. The 26 is great on fuel and excellent in all mowing conditions. It will spin any attatchment Walker makes. While diesel is great if you are mowing 7 - 8's I can't justify it for my operation.
    I have gone on and on and I still could but if you have any questions, shoot me a PM or e-mail.
    I'm not gonna dirt on any mower as I have tried many and have seenthis type of thread become a mine is better than yours type of deal. Remember, you are putting the bucks out and any dealer or manufacturers rep that wants to sell you on will let you use one. Thats how I was sold.

Oh, by the way-- Welcome to Lawnsite!

9. GaryR

GaryR LawnSite Member

I use the toro 355 and love the cut.
    And can honestly say i like the walker also but if you want to see a range of quality bagging mowers check out the range of Gianni Ferrari mowers

10. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

My turn already? LOL?

We have talked about this a lot, but for the fun of it we will do it again, I have owned a Walker 25hp 48'' deck and a Toro Z355, 25hp 48'' deck.

My Walker had a high lift catcher, this is a great feature.

Walker is a true 1 hand steering mower, Toro kinda is kinda isn't, I used both hands as the levers are much firmer than the Walker.

The Toro is built as beafy as the ZTR's, Walker isn''t in comparison.

Build strength, Toro all the way.

Toro uses the same hydro system as their big midmounts, Walker uses are more complex transaxel set up.

Cutting and catching....close call, but Toro wins.
    Most blower suction at the deck, Toro.
    Best impellor, Toro.
    Best blower chute, Toro.
    catcher quality, Toro.
    Best traction, Toro.

Things I didn't like about MY toro was it kept breaking shear pins, then blades would knock and chip, even bent a spindle this way.
    mine had an issue there though which isn't typical of others.

Deck change on a Toro is not as easy as a Walker.

Walker's GHS deck is good, but is only made for catching unless you open the catcher door, the toro is a 2 in 1 deck, mulch/catch, catches great, but I mostly mulched and these things can mulch!

I felt more secure on the toro, bigger, better traction and better at slopes.

If you had small tight areas the lighter Walker would be best because of the lighter one hand steering, but the toro is no slouch either.

comparing a 26 EFI Walker against a 25hp Toro isn't really fair, big difference here. I'd like to see a 26EFI Toro, would be great.

If both were same hp I'd say Toro for sure....but I like power! LOL!

Tough decision, good luck!