Toro Z350???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Clay, Feb 2, 2003.

1. Clay

Clay LawnSite Member

Wondering why there is never any talk of this mower? Doesn't anyone use it? And if not, why?

On paper it seems to do everything the Walker does and then some... What am I missing???

Thanks, Clay

2. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

I own a 20x48Walker I bought it last Sept. They are more compact

I can fit the walker + Scag Sthm on 6x12 trailer. I looked at the Toro at dealer open house. He took on the walker. There are many posts on this the Walker gets higher marks. #2 toro

#3 Scag, #4 Bobcat. They just work better. Ed

3. Clay

Clay LawnSite Member

Thanks for your reply Edward....

Yes, I did the search and read about the Toro having some problems early on... but was interested about hearing from some who have purchased in the last couple of years... I would think that they surely would have worked most of the bugs out by now???

I bought a top of the line Walker a few years ago... It was the best collection system I ever used, but the mulching deck was simply a joke... so the entire machine was taken back the very next day as I told them I was mainly interested in mulching before buying... I would like the option of bagging at times during the Spring...

I would like to see the Toro Z350 come out with a fuel injected and or liquid cooled model...

Any more thoughts would be appreciated... Thanks...

4. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

Bought one new 2 years ago (with the new gear box), was very happy till I put it on a lawn.. I suffered for two months with slowmowing and plugged chutes (spring grass in upstate NY) traded for a Z153.. My dealer told me that he had very few complaints about the 350 plugging or otherwise, I can not disbelieve him as the quality of the machine is top notch in my estimation, it just did not work for me.. demo one before buying, you would be the best judge for how it works on your lawns..
    Sidehilled OK, Uphill OK, Downhill HANG ON the tail wheel loves to lose contact (will give you a thrill).
    Hope this helps.
    BobR

5. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I think any ztr will give you problems downhill. At least my lazer Z hp's do. I would assume an outfront deck mower would have a little more weight to the rear (and over the tires when pointed downhill) than a midmount, in fact.

And I've noted that most of the complaints about this mower either a) come w/o any details whatsoever (toro haters?) or b) pertain to units set up to bag.

I know clogging is a HUGE time waster and it sounds like the Walker may be superior on that. But they also have discharge and mulching decks and I haven't heard anything on how they perform.

So, other than clogging while bagging, any complaints?

6. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

I had one of the earlier ones, only problem it gave me was lack of spindle protection, mulched very well, and caught just as well.
    I owned a 48'' walker before that, the walker for me did not catch any better. The toro is a lot better/stronger built and has a wider stance. I work on slopes a lot, never had problems with the tail wheel lifting, the big weight it has prevented this happening to me, but the walker will buck!

The toro is lower and wider, I've had both, both are great finish mowers, neither is perfect, both will clog chutes if you bag to too higher speed or bag wet grass, both work off the same principle.

Least with the toro you can mulch, soooo much better than bagging!

GOOD LUCK!

2 great mowers, flip a coin :)

7. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

I switched over from Walker's to the Toro 355. Much better machine IMO. Does everything the Walker does but better. Switches from bagging to mulching w/o the need to change decks. Faster ground speed. Better catcher. More reliable. Easier to train new operators on. Less maintenance. FAR less little PITA safety switches that always seem to be failing on a Walker.

8. GaryR

GaryR LawnSite Member

I bought a 355 about a month ago it bags & mulches great. The only proviso being it is as dry as a bone here at the moment as stated before the machine works great on slopes but is very noisy.
    The machine is still only a finishing mower
    & for any rough or open area work will still use the heavier 'Z"

9. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

G'Day Gary,

Yep, you got that right, great reply!
    They are a finishing mower, bloody good one too! But the big Z's are for the tough jobs, all made for a purpose.
    See you around Gary, some crazy Aussies visit here :)

I'm from Hervey Bay, Queensland.

10. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

so what are you guys paying for this unit? if you can go from mulching to bagging on the fly I would like to demo one.

Tim