Toro z355 vs Walker

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by idacurt, Jul 2, 2005.

1. idacurt

idacurt LawnSite Member

Has anyone used this mower?how does it compare to a walker

2. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Toro Z153 and I love it. I've never used a Walker so I can't really compare the two. The Z is probably a lot faster for large areas but if you bag a lot you might want to consider the Walker.

3. Ron's Lawncare

Ron's Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

that is like comparing apples to oranges.the Walker is the best dedicated bagging mower out there.that said the Exmark Navigator is gaining quickly it just might be my next bagger.a ztr (like the Toro Z153 ) is a whole different type of mower it's ground speed is faster than the Walker but it's a mid deck not an out front deck.the Toro with a bagging kit isn't nearly as efficient as a Walker Type mower.you need to find out what you need for your accts.the Walker is awesome it tight places if it's wide open the Toro might be the better choice.

Ron

4. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

question was Toro z355 vs Walker right?

owned both up until 18 months ago, cut quality is equal when bagging.

walker can clog the chute, toro doesn't

toro has a bigger better fan.

toro is faster and stronger.

toro is great on slopes, walker not.

toro is not as dusty when bagging in comparison.

toro has an awkward sitting position.

toro stiffer control levers.

walker easier, more comfy to opperate, very responsive levers.

walker lighter.

toro has a 2 mode deck, bag and mulch, terrific mulcher!

both good, it comes down to personal prefference in the end, btw, my models were 2001, so current models in both brands will be better now.
    Also, do not buy a pre 2002 toro, their early models had probs!

my comment re slopes with my walker, i should mention mine had the high lift deck feature which raised centre of gravity, where the toro catcher is low and wide, both great machines for light work, not for the work we put mid mount ztr's through!

5. idacurt

idacurt LawnSite Member

Tony,
    your the guy I was looking for!My area maybe just like yours ,very lush grass with bagging longer than most areas.I want a mower that does not need two different decks and wont clog in the wet stuff that also mulches good.Everyone has a walker in my area so it must be for a reason,I am trying to find out if there is a mower that will out perform my competition.thanks for the info.

6. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

I found the toro z355 very versatile, great performer, but my model had probs with drive shaft to deck, and poorly designed spindle housings, but this is now not an issue with later models.

I could bag in wet/damp grass easy, the toro fan is awesome, but everything has limits obviously lol.

As a mulcher I loved it, actually once I got into mulching I never bagged again, if you can get mulching down pat, no need to bag!

These mowerrs aren't for long thick overgrown bermuda etc, they are for lawns, yet here we use mowers differently and do vacant blocks etc with them, do what ya gotta do to earn the bucks!

the reason you see more walkers is advertising, toro is new in this style of mower in comparison, maybe it's the dealer....

I liked some things about the walker better, and vise versa, but at the end of the day I'd buy another toro over walker, much simpler design and tougher.

The combo deck is great, more companies should do similar! If that deck on the z355 could side discharge, I'd still own it!

Try to spend some time on each, you will get a feel for which one ya like best, both great cutters. But bagging grass....that's old news, get into mulching if you can!

7. walker/redmax

walker/redmax LawnSite Senior Member

No compareison between the two. Walker, hands down.

8. retiredflyboy

retiredflyboy LawnSite Member

Am considering purchasing used Toro Z355 2003 model only 35 hrs. What would be good price?