Toro Z440 PRO Value Series good or bad?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mylucky24, Jan 19, 2006.

1. mylucky24

mylucky24 LawnSite Member

I am think about getting a Z440 PRO Value Series for my first year in the business. Is this a good lawnmower for starting out.
    Also does anyone have this lawnmower and have you hada any problems with it?
    Thanks,
    Ross

2. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

If you are going to drop a pile of money on a new machine I would suggest that you consider a few dollars more and get the 450 PRO. I started with a used toro walk behind moved up to a new toro compact Z then on to an EXMARK Z HP and now have the Toro 450 PRO with spindle driven bagging system. IMHO the 450 is the best.

BobR

3. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

they didnt have one when i bought my 450 last year, but that is what i was looking at

the real difference is the 440 comes with the kawasaki value series motor.... and the 450 comes with the kaw performance series motor

4. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

When my dealer dropped Exmark, we switched to Toro_Our first Toro's are two 500 series mowers.I observed the 400 series mowers the dealer had in stock,very solid mower's.When our Lazer Hp's need replacing, they will be replaced with 450's.

Not to mention,If I'm not mistaken--the 450's engine have a canister air filter,the 440's do not.

5. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

450 PRO also gives the option of engines - 20 hp Kohler or 23 hp Kawasaki.
    My Exmark HP had the 23 Kaw motor and it was one thirsty bugger so I opted for the 20 Kohler on my 450 and so far have no regrets as that engine has gobs of torque, can't really give specifics as to gas consumption but seat of the pants tells me that it is thriftier. Much happier with Toro's spindle driven bagger as compared to Exmark, it actually reduces clippings instead of just blowing them into the bagger.

BobR