Toro z450 Vs. Exmark lazer hp

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by S man, Mar 15, 2008.

1. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I have narrowed my search for a z down to two choices. The toro z450 with 48 turbo force with 23 kawasaki. Or a exmark lazer hp with 46" triton and a 19 or 23 kawasaki. What's my pros and cons on these machines? I was on the phone with the owner of the power shop where the guy who sold me the stander bought it and his toro z450, and said the toro hands down is the best rider I can get. The conversation went on for at least 45 min and this dealer sounds awsome. He is a 35 40 min drive from where I am though. But I don't mind the drive because his shop sounds really great and from talking with the owner after closing by the way, for that long telling me what the best mower to get, shows me the customer support and help they give. Anyway the toro is $7500 with a 500 dollar suspension seat free. The exmark is $6000 on promo with the 19 kawasaki. I forgot how much the 23 kawasaki runs. The guy said in the long run paying extra for the toro will be worth it because it will last longer than the exmark because the toro has better components and is built better. Am I wrong? The guy that sold me the stander let me ride his z450 and think it is solid. Well built mower. So which should I get? Is the toro worth the extra $$ and do I need the 23 kawasaki? Is the toro really built better than the rest? Or is exmark just as good? Please give feedback on which mower I should go with.
  2. S man

Bump to the top.
  3. S man

4. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Toro's are Exmark intimidators.
  5. stevepk

stevepk LawnSite Member

They are the same machine with different logo's, right?
  6. FinerCutslawnCare

FinerCutslawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

7. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Both are fine mowers, but I can't see a thousand or more dollars difference. How much for the eXmark with a 23? That may be the buy if the price is right.

Toro was my favorite brand for many years, but they are just overpriced, IMO.
  8. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

I looked at the Toro before pulling the trigger on my Lightning and it seems to be a very nice machine. Most Toro dealers have a pretty good margin so I would try to bring the price down a little and buy the suspension seat from Northern Tool ( and save a few bucks.
    Also, from what users say, the Turbo Force deck if a better deck than the Triton.
    For a 48", I would take a 23 HP or more engine. The 19 HP may not cut it if you mulch wet, heavy or tall grass.
  9. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

The Exmark and the Toro are made buy the same people. They are both top of the line mowers. We own both. I would take the toro with the bigger HP. That was a very good tip about the Northern Tool seat. Maybe you could not take the seat, and talk the dealer down, then get the seat from Northern. PR
  10. lawnguy001

lawnguy001 LawnSite Member

S Man, I think you'll be very pleased w/ the T 450. I just bought used one a couple of weeks ago, and it's plenty of mower for what I need it for in N. Fla. Good luck !