Toro Z500 Help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by samk, Jul 31, 2004.

1. samk

samk LawnSite Member

I am going to purchace a 20/52 Z500 on monday. I need opinion on the bagging system it runs off a pully connected to the deck. My question is will the 20 HP be able to run it. I dont want to spend a 1000.00 bucks on something that just works soso. I would like your opinions from anyone using or not using this system.
  2. turfmaster90

turfmaster90 LawnSite Member

I bought the Toro 557 ZTR last month and got the clam shell bagger that runs off the ZTR engine.

I talked to my mechanic and he said that the bagger system would take about 3 to 4 horse power away from the engine to run.

So if you get the 20 hp engine you will actually have 16 hp to cut the grass. I got the 60" deck with bagger so I opted for the 27 hp engine.

Sure glad I did. With the 27 hp engine I can cut 3 full days before I have to fill her up again. Plenty of hp to cut & suck.
  3. bart may

bart may LawnSite Senior Member
    from montana

I have the soft bagger on my 44 17hp. I wish that I had a 20 instead. It works but definatly bogs down in any taller grass. I assume that with the 52 inch deck and a 20 you'll encounter similiar results. I love the bagger though and recomend it. If you can afford it, go with a bigger engine. It will work though with a 20.
  4. i have the 3 bag one on a 27 horse kohler z557 good on what i use it for picking up excess leaves after mulching them in the fall.
  5. NoWalk4Me

NoWalk4Me LawnSite Member

Go for more HP and you'll be glad. I demo'd the old style (Z150 I think it was called) w/ a 52" deck /20 kohler and it did pretty good while not bagging. With the bagger installed it really was a strain on the 20 to keep pace. I think it would be well worth your extra expense if you plan on bagging. With HP you can never have too much but man do you ever notice too little! That new 500 Series seems to be an awesome machine (big improvement over the old 100 and 200's) so enjoy whatever you decide.
  6. samk

samk LawnSite Member

I would go with more ponies but its like a 1400.00 dollar difference from the 20 to the 27. That I cant afford
  7. NoWalk4Me

NoWalk4Me LawnSite Member

I certainly understand that. I haven't really shopped the Toro's since I bought my Super Z and didn't realize it was that big a jump in HP. They used to offer a 23 and 25 although they were Kawasaki in the older lineup. As I say, not sure now and I don't know if Kawa is something you'd want. Not to start a war here but I am a bit partial to Kohler as that's all I've ever ran. Can't comment on Kawa from experience but IMO they must be pretty good motors as they've been used a long time and have many happy users. Hope you find what you need.
  8. Ray & Karen

Ray & Karen LawnSite Member

I have the 20/52 and wish I had gone for the higher HP. I'll sell you mine, so I can get the bigger one.
  9. samk

samk LawnSite Member

Thank for the opinions guys any last bit of info on the baggers would be great or the mower. I still believe im am going to buy this in the morning . I like the price and I dont have to start paying for it until April:D . im just worried about the 20Hp