Toro Z500

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mark P, Aug 25, 2003.

1. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

:) My dealer is droping me off a new Toro Z500 27hp Kaw Liquid Cooled tomorrow morning, it only has 1hr he said i could keep it 3 days, Ill give a report on how this mower stacks up.....Marks Mowing Service
  2. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

Is that the new Toro with the FAB deck???
  3. Mark P

pinnacle yes it has the rowbar and deluxe seat and you can adjust the chute opening from close to however far you want it. The new deck is called a Turbo Force 5.1/2 " deep all fab. 7 ga. Its suposed to rain Wed im hoping so ill be heading to some hilly accounts to c how it holds the hills, ill also run doubles on it and see how they do, ill put to the test to see if its the machine he told me it was...Marks Mowing Service
  4. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

Mark sounds a heap better than the SFS clump magnet. I would be intrested to see how it gose as I have just tossed up between Toro 02 and GD charriot 02 and the only reason I didn't get the Toro was the fact that it cut so bad with that stamped deck compared to danes full fab. This adjustable chute oppening sounds intresting. If it's got the same kind of frame set up as the 02 I would imagine it'll hold hills good. Toro make good power units and lets just see if they can make a deck to match.
    I'll keep my fingers crossed for a bit of rain for you.
    Let us know how it cuts, It might be good for me next year?
  5. creativedan

creativedan LawnSite Member
    from IL

how much are they asking for the 04 toro?
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

From what I have heard, it's worlds apart from that SFS system. Let us know how it performs...
  7. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Nick's Lawn and Garden locally here has one. It's got an air cooled 28 HP EFI Kohler on it. I've been told I can demo it. Have not taken them up on the offer yet.

From a thorough examination of the machine I'd say it's a really nice unit. The deck especially the way the belt (that's right only one belt from engine to deck) is routed you will get more transfer of HP from the engine to the blades. There is 270 degree contact between the belt and the blade spindles!

Still putting the analog hour meters on them though!
    :rolleyes: Toro puts the digital "reminder" hour meters on their Hydro W/B's....cannot understand why not on the Z-Masters. That's my only complaint.
  8. Mark P

:) I called my dealer real early and had them bring me the Z288E it has the 28hp Kohler Pro EFI with the 60" deck and all the goodies, I just got in around 8:45PM the machine avrived around 7:00AM this morning. Well i done some serious demoing today, i must say that the machine is verywell built, gives a super nice cut and that EFI is a gas saver, First thing i did was adjust the chute baffel to around 7" for dryer grass, it does well at chopen the grass into tiny pieces, also gives a nice stripe, and i love the delux seat its alot smoother than mine on my Toro Z. Ill show you the pins u adjust to move the chute opening.....Hopeing for rain tomorrow to see how it cuts when wet and holds on to them there hills.....Marks Mowing Service

family 178.jpg
  9. Mark P

One More

family 180.jpg
  10. Peterson Landscaping

Peterson Landscaping LawnSite Member

I had 1 with the 27 air cooled kohler for 2 weeks while they tried to fix my kubota P.O.S. and it mows absolutly incredible but it can't hold a hill to save its life and the standard seat sucks the rubber side discharge chute is a thing of genius. Awsome machine.