1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Toro Z500

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by samk, Aug 7, 2004.

1. samk

samk LawnSite Member

Love my new z500 need to learn how to drive it though. The force that the grass comes out is amazing. My one problem with the mower seems to be the stragglers left behind the cut looks great until you look close and see individual not fully cut pieces here and there. I seem to have read this on another thread what did you guys do to fix this if anything.
  2. NoWalk4Me

NoWalk4Me LawnSite Member

Check the pitch of the deck. Check the blades as sometimes factory blades aren't very sharp (probably OSHA regs). Also, check the adjustable discharge baffle as it may not be wide-open. This could be creating turbulence like mulch kits sometimes do. I know several LCO's who own 500's (our biggest local dealer sells Toro and BobCat) and they love them. Most had the older 200's before and really like the improved deck when compared to the old SFS deck. Good luck and hope this helps as you should be very happy w/ the new Toro.
  3. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

are you mulching or side discharging?

What blades are you using?

What sort of grass?

Smooth or rough ground?

Have you tried adjusting the baffle to improve the situation?
    the baffle as well as controlling clipping size also controls vacume, if you are cutting a paddock open the baffle, if you are doing fine work close it, but the setting depends on the lawn, not a one setting suits all...you need to learn how to fine tune with the baffle, then you will get very crisp cuts.

I personally did not like the standard notched highlifts, I went to toro recycles for general work and the cut was a lot better, now I'm using raptors, perfect cut every time...and I'm side discharging with these!

I personally found the notched highlifts had too much turbulance for my cutting conditions....