Toro Z580-D 23 HP Kubota

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ATCZERO, Apr 5, 2008.

ATCZERO LawnSite Member

Could someone comment on the Toro Z580-D with regard to the 23 HP Kubota Diesel? It is now sold with a 25 HP Kubota but I am considering buying a previous year demo (22 hrs) with the 23 HP for my farm cutting 10-12 acres. Is the 23 HP diesel underpowered for a 60 inch deck? After doing a search here I couldn't find much info. Also, the price is a little over $9000 so it's at a nice discount. Thanks.
  2. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello ,
    the models for the diesel kub equipped ztr are z593 [23hp] or z595 [25hp]
    The 580-d is a WAM [wide area mower]

In the 60 inch version both engines are good but not 4 very heavy use [not enough torque/ hp IMO]

3. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

If you are going to cut it regularly it will probably fine. If its a lot of heavy mowing you may want more power. Look around at other dealers, one here has an '07 with the 28 Kohler efi for just under $8000, which is not diesel but a very good engine w/ plenty of power. If you really want diesel check out the Bab Boy mowers. I've never used them, but you get a lot for your money. I think retrodog on here is a dealer. He can tell all about them.
  4. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

23 felt pretty good to me once you get the blades spinning. We had quotes at under 10,000 for a brand new (at the time) machine so I'd be pushing for an extra couple hundred off the selling price of that one. Nice thing about that kubota is even if you work it hard and bog it down on occasion it will give you trouble free service for thousands of hours.

Good luck.
  5. TrapperJohn

TrapperJohn LawnSite Member

I just took delivery of a Kubota ZD326P, 60" with 26hp diesel. My general impression is that you wouldn't want to go under 25-26hp if you hit anything heavy. This one has enough power, but I wouldn't call it overpowered. The diesel doesn't bog down as quickly, but when it does, you have to back off and let it build up speed.

You might take a look at the ZD326 - I love it. For what it has, the price was very good ($11k), plus zero percent financing for 3.5 years right now. Shaft drive to the deck, suspension seat, built in jack for raising the front end for service - that's nice. Deck height is hydraulic, hit a pedal and up it comes, quick. A dial by the throttle for setting height. Steer bars have a very progressive feel to them, very easy to control speed and direction. Cut quality appears to be very good, though all I've been able to try it out on is my wet yard. Cuts wet grass pretty good. That engine runs so sweet. Only thing to watch out for, diesel mowers are HEAVY. It's a zero turn, but if you turn on one wheel, you will muss up the sod.

I looked around a lot, and just couldn't find a better deal, which was unusual - normally Kubota is good but high priced.
  6. BobcatBoy06

BobcatBoy06 LawnSite Member

we just got the same mower in a 52in deck it seems impressive so far

ATCZERO LawnSite Member

Thank you all for the very good information.
  8. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I found the 23 60 to be a guttless dog in thick grass. The performance of the 28 efi in a 60" Toro was vastly superior in my opinion. Like it was mentioned, once that diesel bogs, you really have to slow her down in order to get your rpm's up again. It was a big mistake to put that 23 on a 60" deck.