toro zmaster cutting uneven

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by kM427, Jul 2, 2008.

1. kM427

kM427 LawnSite Member

It seems that my toro is cutting uneven on the left side. After cutting a strip, on the return cut I notice that that grass is uneven on the strip that was just cut.( High grass bent back). This problem slows me up for I have to re-cut most of the lawn in the opposite direction. I checked the belts and they seem ok. Belts are driven by a spring loaded tensioner. The blades were sharpened at the last service. I am thinking that the blades should be replaced with GATORS....I would like some thoughts please.....

2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

Did it just start doing this? If so I would replace the belt. It's cheap and it's a good starting point.

3. kM427

kM427 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the response. Mower has two blades. Driven by one belt. is it possible to slow only one blade down ?

4. khouse

The blade opposite of your discharge blade pulls harder. If this is the blade you speak of then it could be the belt? When you take the belt off spin the spindles by hand to see if there are any issues..

5. mike r

mike r LawnSite Member

Agree with Khouse,

also slowwww down a little, also make sure blades are sharp, and not nicked. a little nick can and will cause this problem, especially in the outermost 1" of the blade. high lift blades would help, and also on your return
    cut overlap at least 6" into your previous cut so the vacuum power of the deck will help this problem too. good luck.

mike.

6. khouse

Mike r is on to something here. Try all things listed and post back.

7. Phil G

Phil G LawnSite Senior Member

Much depends on how old the machine is and how it was used before you bought it. With the engine switched off and the blades disengaged check the sides of the belt. It might be adjusted ok, but are the sides of the belt shinny? The pulleys should also be checked for wear, they too can cause slipping. It would seem that this side is not rotating at the same speed indicating that something is slipping.

This done, if you can easily look underneath, get a long straight edge and make sure both blades are at the same distance inside the deck.

=:)

8. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd check the pullys, if they rock back and forth, the bearings are shot in the pully and you have to buy a new pully. Another thing is try cleaning out the area where the blade rests, grass can build up in that area, also since you got it up in the air already hand spin the blade 180 degrees to see if the blade is bent or the arbor is messed up.

9. kM427

kM427 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the in-sight... All great ideas. replaced the belts and the performance increased but, cutting still crappy. I ordered blades...Will repost soon....