1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Toro ZMaster Performance?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MCT Lawn Systems, Apr 26, 2009.

1. MCT Lawn Systems

MCT Lawn Systems LawnSite Member

A question for those who ride upon Toro ZTs. If I am doing a mix of of commercial and resi accounts (account list made up of approximately 15 commercial and 35 resi, all of which contain very few hills if any); will a commercial 48" ZMaster with a 19hp kawi have sufficient power to tackle my needs?

thanks for the help

2. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I have an Exmark with the 19 kaw and 48" deck which is basically the same thing as the Toro. Also have a deere 717A with the same engine/deck. For basic mowing it has handled everything I have throwed at it. However, with the bagging unit or mulching kit I wished it had a bigger engine. Overall I have been satisfied with the mower but if you are going to be bagging or cutting heavy growth you will want the bigger engine. Heck, there is no such thing as to much power!
  3. michaelee2

michaelee2 LawnSite Member

Like he says if you are going to mulch,bag or have alot of hills go with at least a 23 Kaw. I have a 46" 19 Kaw and it is great for what I do.
  4. MCT Lawn Systems

MCT Lawn Systems LawnSite Member

thanks for the replies, very insightful. one more question if i may. would the power be sufficient if i mulched using gator blades instead of using a mulching kit or bagging system?
  5. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

If you will just be discharging using the gator blades then you will be fine. But if you start actually mulching by putting the blocker on the discharge, then a larger engine would be nicer. I always suggest getting a little more power than you think you may need to be able to accomidate using a bagger or mulching kit later on.
  6. IdealLawnCare

IdealLawnCare LawnSite Member

I have a 19hp 52" and it seems to be powered ok but going up steep hills pulling a pull behind aerator you can hear it bogg down just a bit. So far for mowing it seems good.
  7. FF1809

FF1809 LawnSite Member

I have a Toro Zmaster w/ a 21hp Kawi and a 48" deck. The mower will go through anything, just keep a clean deck and change/sharpen the blades regularly. I do realy enjoy the ride comfort and smooth controls.

8. hitechlm

hitechlm LawnSite Senior Member

why would you buy a 48" ztr, why not save some money and buy a 48" walk behind. I think any ztr under 60" is a big waste of money, or people are just to lazy to walk that buy them
  9. michaelee2

michaelee2 LawnSite Member

I bought a 46" because alot of places in the yards I mow you can not fit a 60" in. If I could have used a 60 then I would have probably got me a 60. :dizzy:
  10. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I beg to differ with you there. I had a 60" and it was to dang big for most of my yards with all the flowers and ornaments in the yard and we ain't talking about postage stamp size yards neither. Mine are anywhere from 1 acre up except a few and at my age I sure ain't doing no walking. Did plenty of it in my younger days. The 48" for me is and has been the perfect sze.