toro z's vs exmark v's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dlandscaping, Aug 21, 2001.

1. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

i am planning on purchasing a new Z with a collection system this fall and i am going to demo both exmark and toro ztrs these are the big time dealers around my area there is a smal skag/toro dealer and a johndeere/scag/great dane dealer a few miles away. i was just wondering on peoples input on these riders i am lookin at the 44 toro and was wondering if anyone has one, HOW MUCH THEY PAID FOR THE MACHINE and if they have had any problems the same with the exmark ztr (44 or 48 inch deck)
  2. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I own a 62 inch toro z master. Love the machine for the most part. Are you going to only strictly bag lawns? The only diffrence between the exmark and the toro are the decks. The exmark deck has a slight edge over the toro in mulching ability while the toro is superior in wet grass. My advice would be too get a 60 or a 62 inch deck. I feel like getting small 44 inch deck defeats the purpose of a ztr... wich is gained productividy.
  3. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 52" Toro Zmaster 100 that I've run for 22 hours so far and I'm very pleased (19hp Kaw). I paid 5,999 plus sales tax.

I don't have bagging or mulch system yet.
  4. leaflawnandlimb

leaflawnandlimb LawnSite Member

If your going to be bagging look more towards the exmark w/ the ultra-vac.
  5. RB

RB LawnSite Senior Member

I just sold a Toro 44" 17kaw w/30 hours on it -- Hated it. The 44" was way too unstable on even "slight" grades. I even had a problem turfing flat lalwns early in the morning.

I bet you didn't test drive this machine yet. And I bet you never owned a Exmark, because if you did you wouldn't be posting your qeustion.

I think Toro is a good company but their 44" machine is far from a productive mower -- and that is why you are buying a ztr mower.

In my opinion I would stick to a wb for anything 48" and smaller.

If you have a 48" wb, spend the extra digits and get a 52" ztr -- and don't buy a Toro.

Just my 2 cents.

6. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an Exmark Lazer HP 52" w/ the Ultravac bagger. I bought it last fall and have had zero problems. I really like the way it bags w/ the Ultravac, it's excellent for fall leaf clean-up!!! I have used Peco & Easy Rake vacs on Lazers in the past and they don't even compare to the Ultravac. I don't think Toro has a spindle driven vac for their Z's yet, but I heard they are working on one.
    :) ;) :) ED
  7. Guardian

Guardian LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Theres NO problem w/ lazer 44's. I have run one for a year & half ...and run it hard. It is a very forgiving mower. Other than routine maintenance, I've replaced the hydro belt and a pulley. Thats all! (800 hrs). As far as the advise to get a wb instead, up to you. Between my 44 lazer & wb, I guarentee I am more productive with alot of less wear on ME. It also does a great job in wet conditions (nothing but rain here for the past 2 months)
  8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Toro doesn't have a bagging system yet. I have the 52" HP with ultravac and I love it for leaves and spring cleanups. Personally I wouldn't look at less than the 52". Only because the speed is greater than the 44" and 48".
  9. dhicks

dhicks Member

First of all... Try a Hustler Super Z. I have a Toro Z 255 w/ 62" deck. From day one, the Toro has never cut very well. I have to mow and remow and sometime mow it again before I can get a clean cut.

The deck is level, clean and the tire pressure are set to MFG recommendations while the engine RPMs are over clocked. New blades, sharp blades nothing will make this deck cut.

So if you can't demo a Hustler go with the eXmark.
  10. Here is what I use

Exmark Lazer 60"
    Peco vac

We use to pick up leaves. but I have seen how well it will do bagging grass and it will out perfom any other bagging system out there.

You can also dump from the seat Peco Vac web site

As far as price it varies to much for different areas