1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Toro ZTR 500 series/Deere 737

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenWolverine00, Oct 25, 2005.

1. GreenWolverine00

GreenWolverine00 LawnSite Member
    from PA

Well, You guys may have read my post about the John Deere 727/737, but another mower we are looking at now is the Toro 500 series. It is close to the john deere 737 price, so now I just don't know what to do.

I have read that the deere doesn't stripe well, does anyone know how the toro stripes? The model we are looking at is the Z550 I believe. It has the 52 inch deck with the 27HP Kohler. With either mower we are getting the vac bagging system and they both seem about the same so that isn't a determining factor. I just don't know what to do.

The reason I am looking for the 52/54" range is because anything wider is not going to fit inside of our enclosed trailer with the vac system on the side.

We are demoing the toro on thursday so hopefully that might help a little.

Thanks for the help guys
  2. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

considering the way deere has treated tonyr, I would go for the toro. toro parts are also a lot less expensive than deere parts.
  3. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd go Toro, my last Toro was great, wish I kept it!

Toro is building top notch machines nowadays, their decks are awesome, If I buy another mower, I'll be hoping Toro has something better than my deere, I did notice with Toro, these days, they appear to do more R&D in their time, not like 'others' who send out models and rely on the client to be the R&D test rabbit.

Toro is good....enjoy your demo, have a play with the adjustable baffle too, makes a big difference, plus unlike deere, Toro make at least 5 different blade types for each model in the 500 series. deere apparently make only 1, and it isn't even a good blade, especially for my deck anyway.
  4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

If you are looking for a machine with a catcher system on it, go TORO! The JD catcher vac is an absolute JOKE. The impeller in the blower is friggin plastic and it sticks out so far, not to mention that the whole rest of the sysem looks like it's scabbed onto a commercial mower off of a home depot john deere.
  5. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 52" with a 27hp i wouldnt traeit for anything......i love it ...after reading stuff about deere i probably wont ever buy one of there products
  6. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

My first choice was a Toro but my dealer is such a horses arse I did not give a second thought. Like I said in my other post I have been happy with my 737 and 717 but dont know anything about their catchers. My Exmark bagger (I think is about the same thing as toro) has held up great considering as many times as it has bounced/banged off of something. My deere was also over a grand cheaper than the horses azz Toro dealer was and let me demo one. I think you will be pleased with either as long as you have dealer support, that is the most important thing, dont care if you have a Toro, yugo, or a deere, without it your machine is useless.
  7. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Go with whichever mower offers the best dealer support. John Deere has always served me well, no problems to date.:) Oh by the way, John Deere's 7 iron decks stripe excellent but I can't find any mower that doesn't stripe if its properly setup with the correct pitch.
  8. GreenWolverine00

GreenWolverine00 LawnSite Member
    from PA

Thanks for the info guys. Both of the places have awesome dealer support so I can't use that against either one. However it seems as though the Toro is the way to go from what you guys are saying. I am concerned about the bagging system, so toro wins on the one again. The forum is amazing helpful and I thank all of you. I guess it is just time to make the decision after the demo, but right now I am leaning towards the toro.

Thanks again

Anyone else have any opinions?
  9. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll second that motion!
  10. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

John Deere has a new bagging system out which has larger capacity than the old one. Also, there are aftermarket companies that make far better bagging systems than stock.