Toro ZTR Blades slowing down.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by joee0914, Oct 30, 2013.

1. joee0914

joee0914 LawnSite Member

So im trying to get my back up mower working right. Its a 2010 Toro Titan ZX5450. Recently when going to run the machine I noticed that the blades slowed down when I lowered the deck below a 4" height. They eventually slowed down so much they would stop spinning. Also after they stall out, they sometimes will not turn back on.

I figured the PTO was bad so that was changed... No luck. I checked wiring and spindles and all seems good. Some of the idler pulleys will not rotate perfectly but they are not seized (New ones are ordered and on their way).

Could it be the idlers pulleys or maybe something else? Not sure what else to check for something like this

2. themadcutter

themadcutter LawnSite Senior Member
    from florida

Thats pretty weird. I would check if the blade tension changes as you lower the deck. Its a long shot but its the only thing I can think of

3. joee0914

joee0914 LawnSite Member

Checked tensioner spring and seems fairly tight throughout the deck height range.

Also I should add that the motor remains at full rpms and does not bog down at all when blades slow.

4. themadcutter

themadcutter LawnSite Senior Member
    from florida

If the pto is new and good then the only other thing that moves the blades are the belt, pulley and spindles.

The only time something like that happened to me is when my blades were not tightened properly. All 3 came loose. they would start out spinning but then slowed when cutting.

that can't be your problem though

cant wait to find out what the problem is.