toro ZTR - good deal?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yard sloth, Feb 24, 2005.

1. yard sloth

yard sloth LawnSite Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50376&item=4359401445&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I saw this 48" Toro ZTR tonight on ebay, it seems like a good price. Is this some kind of downgraded homeowner-ish toro ZTR? I wonder because my 44" Z-master was $5500 three years ago. This 48" is nearly 1K less. Looks like a plastic belt cover is on it. I like the plastic grass chute though, compared to the unforgiving metal one mine came with.

And what deck does this mower have? It doesn't look like an SFS and it doesn't appear to have the adjustable baffle like turbo force. Is this an improved (deeper) SFS maybe?

Also is the 18hp kohler any good?

thanks for any advice! :waving:

2. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I know that the Commercial grade Toros usually have "Z Master Commercial" on them.

3. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

well it is brand new. I took a tour of our local Toro dealer yesterday and the controls being on the side like that make it a 2005. It is one of the bottom end commercials that they sell. It's still a good machine. I have no clue why it is priced that low though. I would be suspicious about that one.

4. green814

green814 LawnSite Member

It is their entry level model w/ smaller tires, slower ground speed,etc. Probably a good unit quality wise, just depends what you are looking for. If you notice, it even has a mechanical break that outs pressure on the rear tire when activated. Here is the toro website link. http://toro.com/professional/lce/zmaster/z400/74412_specs.html Just compare to see if it would do the job. Good luck.
    Chris

5. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

It is Z Master 4000 series. I looked at one last summer and was rather unimpressed. I went with the more traditional/full size Z Master insted.