1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

TORO ZTR Q's/Suggestions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Pietro, Aug 13, 2006.

1. Pietro

Pietro LawnSite Senior Member

I just dropped 10K on a brand new 60 inch Z master Diesel (23hp) and on some lawns its leaving horrible clippings left behind, even after i double cut it. I just picked up some Gators and im going to try them out, but apparently ppl here say they arent as good as they claim for side discharge........This mower is brand new and i dont wanna do anything thats going to break it......im tryin to get the scoop on what the best thing to do is........I see other companies using exmarks riders (older looking) and they discharge on the same lawns and only single cut, and it looks great......what am I doing wrong>? What blades should I be using? I live in Central NJ and we have all kinds of grass....some kentucky....some fescus and etc....im very confused.........

im also looking for a used bagging system for this machine because 2K for new is out of my range after financing this machine.
  2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Doesn't your mower have the adjustment on the side of the deck for different kinds of lawns? What have been the reslults of adjusting the deck from a narrow discharge to a wide open one? I assume you are using high lifts, the gators probably won't help. I have heard of very few problems with the Toro deck but it sounds like you will have to experiment a bit to get the problem under control. Are the clippings large? Is the grass wet/humid or dry?
  3. grant087

grant087 LawnSite Member

check the adj. baffle that could be your problem you can open it up for high grass or you can close it on short grass and then it mulches better.....
  4. mhussey

mhussey LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Tacoma. You may need to bring the baffle in a little, however if you are cutting come pretty tall stuff you may need a second pass.

The gators will work good right now, however in the spring time is when you don't want to run gators. I have heard that some folks will run 1 gator blade on the discharge side of the mower and high lifts on the left and middle spindle. I would bring the baffle in to the A position and you should be fine.
  5. Pietro

Pietro LawnSite Senior Member

Ive screwed with the baffle, its nothing special....it doesnt close that much (basically its over rated)

Im thinking the gators might help, Like I said, I will try em out and just keep screwing with it until I figure something out....I just wanted to see if there was a specific thing everyone was doing to solve this problem. I guess Its just time to experiment