1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

toro ztr slowing down with age?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by NCL, Dec 9, 2006.

1. NCL

NCL LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I have a toro ztr that seems to be getting slower and slower, I put new steering dampers and check fluid levels with no change. It has a hard time going up hills also. Any info would help. thanks
  2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

like all of us we just wear out and slow down. some need new knees some just pain pills. your mower is the same. check the usual suspects ie. fluid, filter, adjustments. tolerences get loose. so if all things fail and your down to replacing the pumps then you might try a heavier weight of oil in the hydraulic system.
  3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Don't forget belt condition and tension, idler arm springs also if equipped.
  4. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

Check your RPM's.
  5. atdwg

atdwg LawnSite Member

Check rpms first. If ok it sounds like you may be losing a cylinder. Do a compression test. I think it shoud be around 150 psi.
  6. mojob

mojob LawnSite Senior Member

If it's having trouble going up hills I'd bet the hydraulic system is worn out. Check for metalic particals in the hydraulic fluid. All it takes is one of the components (motors or pump) to fail and it will wipe out the others. That's why I think Walker has the right set up. Pump and motor are in the same housing and have a two completely separate systems for left and right drive wheels. Both hold very little fluid so you don't have to worry about ruining a customer's lawn with a hydraulic leak.