1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tider6972, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Toro is offering the 44" 100(?) series, SFS deck with a 18 Kohler for $4999.

This seems a good price.

Will ths be a good mower for use on Bermuda, St. Augustine, and Bahaia?

I know the SFS doesn't get good reviews, and to make it worse I mulch...but the price makes this tempting !

Whatcha think ?

2. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

Ive been using the z100's 52inch sfs deck toro with the 19hp kawi for about 4 years now. I run gators on it and have to double cut in thick grass, that my exmark chops up, and it will stripe alright. 4999 seems like a decent price. It will do the job till you can afford something better. Its a good entry level Z.
  3. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Yep,it'll do fine.I bought mine(same exact setup) last season for $5500,so you're getting a good deal.I imagine alot of older SFS models will be coming down in price also,as dealers are trying to get rid of them.
  4. mownlow79

mownlow79 LawnSite Member

I have ran toros for 8 yrs. You will be happy with your choice.
  5. notforprofit

notforprofit LawnSite Member

What is SFS? I have the opportunity to pick up a lightly used 21/52 Toro z- master( See tor value post earlier today). However, it's 4 or 5 years old (294 hrs.) Is this a good mower for the homeowner with 3 1/2+ acres/ week to mow?
  6. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I use a 44" toro deck wb. I have used a couple others in the past. This one in particular really does a great job on my Bahia. I have heard theories that the lack of baffles inside makes it cut really tall stringy grass better, since there's nothing to stop it from standing back up as the front edge passes over it. It is good for 'chop n' drop' mowing on lesser quality turf like Bahia, but probably not as great on fine turf. I mowed some tall bahia and weeds yesterday at full speed (6.2mph?) with zero stringer problems.

The 44" on the rider has the advantage on Bermuda of having no trim edge. Yes, on Bermuda, this is an advantage, since the wheels match the deck width and I found mowing Bermuda that on really rolling terrain a long deck overhang will cause cut quality problems on the trim side.

I have mowed St. Augustine discharging with my 44", and it does pretty good. The clippings are long though, so it's not optimal. Perhaps mulching, doubles, or gators would help. I haven't experiemented with it. It does leave an occasional random stringer on tall St. Aug.

With that Kohler 18. If it's the twin, it's got decent power for a 44". Not sure about their single. If that's the twin 18hp, that's a very good price compared to the Exmark 44" version with the 20hp, which has similar torque to the 18.