toro ???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by s and s mowing, Feb 12, 2005.

1. s and s mowing

s and s mowing LawnSite Member
    from ky

my mom and dad are vacation in florida(they own a place in zephyr hill) and he called and said he found a toro recycler with electric start,gts engine at a yard sale for 30.00 dollars and said it look like brand new.so i said buy it even though i dont need one.my ? is what do i have,what engine is the gts,what oil goes in these engines,as far as weight.i run a 36 metro but this seem cheap so i own own now.

2. Green lawns

Green lawns LawnSite Member

That mower (Toro) has a 6.5hp Briss engine on it or most of do. It is the home owners model. If you only use it for trim work should work ok for a while. Sounds like this is only for a back-up mower.

Good luck!

3. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats quite the deal. If it has the aluminum deck, that could have been as much as $700 new. It is probably a 6 or 6.5 hp Briggs. I have has one of these mowers for 6 years, and it has had a lot of use, with only a few problems. I always run SAE 30 in mine.

4. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

We use those with self propel for real tight areas. Only mower that's that light that we don't destroy. Depending on year, I think they changed from 6 to 6.5 horsepower.
    Great deal if it runs.

5. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

It doesn't have a briggs, it has a Tecumseh. I know they have used Tecumseh on them for the last 3 years but I don't know what they used before then. Just so you'll know the gts stands for guarenteed to start.