Toroidal Transformers

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting, Oct 30, 2007.

1. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Ok everybody... lets hear it!

I would like to know all of your knowledge, thoughts, opinions and experiences with Toroidal Transformers.....

Last year I had the pleasure of meeting John Tremaine from Q-tran Transformers here in Muskoka at his summer home. He had me walk him through an initial design for a lighting system and then started talking about his business (Toroidal Transformers). So, from that meeting and subsequent discussions with him I have learned a bit.

Lets hear what everyone else has to say.

Have a great day.

2. pete scalia

pete scalia LawnSite Senior Member

3. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

I've tried to contact Q-Tran but have not heard back from them. I got to see one of their subterranean transformers while I was in NY visiting with Janet Moyer and Tom Williams. It looked pretty sweet so I sent them an email. I guess I may have to do it again. I would think that if someone made contact with them that they would at least reply though.

As for toroidal transformers, I use Kichler pro series units which are toroidals and I don't think that I would use the old EI type. They seem to be more energy efficient and operate cooler.

4. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

Been discussed. The link that Pete put up was only discussed about a month or so ago so it is all pretty recent James.

5. steveparrott

steveparrott Sponsor

Joey, it sounds like you're trying to squelch this subject.

6. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

Not at all. I was trying to be helpful. It's Just one we have been down. What I said then is still the same thing I would say today. If you have something new to offer I am sure everyone would love to hear the input. I dont think anything has changed in regards to Toroids and EI's in the last month has it??

7. Eden Lights

Eden Lights LawnSite Senior Member

I think a really good starting point would be to read the piece over on Cast's web site and then if your not a believer then post your rebutal here. We all know the Pro's, does anyone have any Con's? I agree with all the Pro's, but if I was buying a trans there are some installer friendly features that to me out way all of the Pro's of a Toroidal such as large, large, large lugs, quality secondary breakers, Large conduit knock out on the bottom (min-1.125") A lot of room under the lugs for your hangs, smooth stainless edges, easy door or cover access, room for a UPB control module, multi-tap with no missing voltages. (12-15V min.) and etc. are more important than is it a Toroidal is my book, but Toroidal is a plus, just not a deal breaker for me.

8. pete scalia

When is someone going to manufacture a proper transformer. I'm doing a remodel on a banged up 4 month old project that someone else attempted right now. It has a 1200 watt transformer manufactured by a company that manufactures for more than 50 percent of the industry. Now on a 1200 there are going to be alot of homeruns right? You tell me how to get all the wiring into the terminals when there are 4 commons (1 per circuit) and 4 power taps 12-15V. I had to stop at 10 wires since that's all I could fit (I have 2-8', 4-10's and 4-12's) . As chance would have it 6 of the cables need to go to the 14V tap. I'm tapped out. Not only isn't there enough room to work under the terminals since they are so close to the bottom. but it's freaking near impossible to get the multiple wires into the taps so that they will be tight and not create problems. This is with the door dropped down which is another Nightmare when you are using 1 1/2" conduit into the trans.
    Who designs these things?

I have to use another transformer on the other side of the yard since I have 5 more cable runs to make and there is no way they will fit. What good is a 1200 watt transformer when I can't get the required wires into it? Is anyone listening? Help!!!!

9. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

I can feel your pain.

If that was a Nightscaping H3O Powercenter you would have TONS of room for all that wire, and the terminals would easily accept all of the connections too. It may have some sharp edges, and the door access might be a pain over time, but the internal set up of the Powercenter is clearly designed by someone who acutally uses the things in the field.

And the four 1" conduit openings in the bottom of the T-SS-1000 and H3O-SS-1000 make getting all that wire down to the ground nice, neat, and safe.

Have a great day.

10. pete scalia

The last 1000VA Nightscaping muti tap I saw had all the terminals over to the right of the case (not in the usual center) and 6- 15 amp fustats in the lower left. Is that still the case?