1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Toronto-Ontario and surrounding areas

Discussion in 'Network: International' started by TheGCentre, Feb 1, 2006.

1. MowerMoney

MowerMoney LawnSite Senior Member

Niagara area here. Been doing this about 4 years now.

Sean should set up a post primarily for Canadians. There is a difference from the US market and ours. Glad to see some more Canucks on here though.

The timing for advertising is a bit of hit & miss. Last year the season was a little later in warming up so late March thru April was pretty good. This year I feel that early to late March was right. I wasn't panning on advertising at all this year as last year I had all the work I could handle (want to stay one man) but I wasn't counting on losing a couple of my good accounts to a new lowballer. So I am hoping to send out fliers "unaddressed admail" by next Tuesday. (BTW I use 20 lb. bond paper & Canada Post delivers them no problem and I've seen regular paper delivered as well...this year costs $0.103 each)
    In the past I found that door hangers work the best but I don't have the time now as I'm quite busy with clean-ups & aerations. So far this year I've gotten 5 new residential cutting clients just by referrals.
  2. Bustus

Bustus LawnSite Member

I'm from Brampton. It will be my fourth year running a student based company. I mainly advertise in the local papers. It's good to see some Canadians around this site!
  3. TheGCentre

TheGCentre LawnSite Member

MowerMoney, I tried Canada Post but apparently the flyer has to be at least .25 of a mm thick or they won't distibute it. So I was stuck with 2000 printed (5 1/2 x 8 1/2) flyers that I had to walk around and give out myself. I haven't gotten many phone calls back, but I have my fingers crossed.
  4. Chris I

Chris I LawnSite Member

I just got my first contract today! :clapping: Oddly enough I got the contract on the very first flyer I handed out! I managed to talk to the woman for about 10 minutes and she showed me her property, today we worked out the details for a weekly cut! I went a bit lower than I wanted to, but this is a very nice area and I wanted to be seen there.

I also got a call back for a spring cleanup which I should be working on tomorrow! So far I've handed out about 500 flyers and I've got two jobs, not bad! I'm going to place ads in the local newspaper and an online classifieds website, hopefully I'll get some more response.
  5. Seasons

Seasons LawnSite Member

Oak Ridges here. Hi Ray!
  6. karol

karol LawnSite Member
    from ontario

No problem. What's the name of your co....
  7. TheGCentre

TheGCentre LawnSite Member

The name of my company is "The Garden Centre"
  8. mikestr

mikestr LawnSite Member
    from Toronto

City of Vaughan here... hello all....
  9. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

From Lynden here (near ancaster/cambridge). Will be restarting my business this season or the next. We will be coving, Brantford, Cambridge, Ancaster, Burlington, Hamilton, Flamboro, Waterdown and Oakville!

10. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

Whitby right here.