toro's leaving lines

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by AffinityLawns, Oct 6, 2002.

1. AffinityLawns

AffinityLawns LawnSite Member

I own 3 toros 2 62's and a 72, noticed after 100 hrs or better on certain yards the mowers would leave lines between blades, and I sharpened blades and even bought new blades on advice from my dealer, no change at all. Does anyone have any idea what would cause this?

2. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

you might have a rounded edge on the corner after 100 hrs of use, btw, are the lawns thin??

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Did the deck pitch change any?
    Have you checked or changed the air pressure? If the tires are off it could change the pitch, thus could make the airflow change and possibly cause the problem.

4. AffinityLawns

AffinityLawns LawnSite Member

I've replaced blades, check tire pressure daily, Ive measured to make sure the deck was level and it does do it more obviously in thicker grass and we slow down ground speed but still does not seem to help!

5. PartsGuy

PartsGuy LawnSite Member

I have seen this happen numerous times over the years. One solution is to check to see if the blades are passing each other at the same time. When installing the blades install the 2 outside blades the same, while installing the center blade 90 degrees from the outside blades. If the blades are coming together at the same time what is happening is the blades are laying the grass down instead of cutting it.

The other corrections have allready been mentioned, so good luck!

Parts Guy

6. jaylon

jaylon LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I had this happen to me, I just cleaned under my deck.

7. mower17

mower17 LawnSite Member
    from la

The bearings on the spindles could be worn out. To check this grab one enf of the blade and wobble it up and down. It shouldn't move at all. If it does then the bearings are shot.

8. Clay

Clay LawnSite Member

Take the Atomic blades off and put gators on.... :)

9. maxabeth

maxabeth LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

I traded my toro in for a Walker and haven't had a problen since, even after 1500 hrs.

10. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I'd say the exact opposite, take the Gators off and use high lifts. :D