Toro's revised smaller diesel mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mhussey, Jul 18, 2007.

1. mhussey

mhussey LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone been to Toro's website. Looks like they have went from the 23HP Kubota diesel to a 25HP Kubota diesel. This should be a way bigger step up from the 23HP especially if you have the 72" deck.

Just figured I would share that.

2. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

The 25 hp diesel is an improvement over the 23 hp, but Toro and Exmark probably need to offer a 26+ hp diesel. I prefer the Exmark diesel over the Toro diesel anyway. They don't stack the hydro pumps, or use a gearbox/pto setup. Easier to maintain imo.

3. AdamChrap

AdamChrap LawnSite Senior Member

The 72" deck gets a 27hp diesel

4. Pietro

Pietro LawnSite Senior Member

They offered all of the above. I bought a 60 inch with the 23 kubota, and guess what? Its MORE Than enough. That thing flies, and youve got to purposly try to bog it down thru insane grass. They offered 60 and 72 inch decks with both motors. The 27 was a Dahitsu motor....it was like 900 or so extra for the 4 more HP, thats why I got the 23. Oh by the way, the fuel economy on the 23 is insane. They both have the 16CC hydro pumps, so speed is the same. I love mine, its like a tank, makes the 48 z master feel like a toy.

5. mhussey

mhussey LawnSite Senior Member

You can get a 72" deck on the 25HP Kubota diesel also, going by Toro's website.

6. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

fuel economy on the 23 is insane Pietro

You can't go wrong with a Kubota diesel engine for fuel economy and endurance. I'll hopefully get another one soon.

Pietro, How much was the Toro diesel?

7. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I think al Toro did was up the engine speed a bit. I think Exmark did that last year and that was the reason there's was 25hp.

8. Espacesverts

Espacesverts LawnSite Member

Just a question... Is there a big difference between the 25 and 27 in torque? it's only a difference of 2 hp so why a guy should go with a 27hp for a 60" deck?

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

The 23 and 25hp Kubota's are the same engine. Different way of reading Kubota's HP ratings. Exmark had the 25 and the Toro had the 23. Exactly the same engine. I know eXmark runs theirs at 3850rpm, don't know if that is the difference or not.

10. mowtech

mowtech LawnSite Senior Member

Not exactly the same, same block and displacement, but the 25hp is a high speed version beefed up for the added hp. At 23 hp the engine is run at about 3400 rpm vs. 3850 rpm.